Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker touring strut

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:26 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Rocker touring strut

Hello everyone. My first post! I'm in the market for a Harley, I'm having a bit of trouble deciding finally which one to get. Right now I'm swaying toward the rocker. The problem is, whichever one I get, it has to be comfortable for the wife too. She'll be coming with me on some long road trips. Of course she wants me to get the ulta classic electa glide with the leather sofa and big screen tv. But for me, it's not what I want. We have a car already (no offence to the touring dudes).

So, my question is, how comfortable is the touring strut system for the rocker. I'm not talking about the flip out trick seat on the C model, but the addon strut with pillion and back rest. Also I read on this site somewhere someone said it's limited to 25 pounds. Did I mis-understand that? Surely an adult could ride on it, 135lbs or so?

So what do you think, oh and also, can you mount the factory saddle bags when you have the touring strut installed?

I've been searching this site and through google looking for some pictures with the touring strut carrying a passenger but can't find one. Lots of pictures of passengers on the trick seat. So if anyone can point me to some photos that would be great too.

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards,
Z.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:32 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the trick seat and wife says its better than my hertiage. sorry not so helpful. you will love the rocker it is the HD i have ever had

Old 11-11-2008, 06:20 AM
fastcash0523
Cruiser

Hey Zeus,
I opted to have my seat changed on my C. My girlfriend and I were looking something more comfortable for longer rides for her. We knew, after seeing the trick seat, that she wouldn't last on that little pad. We have been on several 100 mile or longer trips with the passenger pillion set-up. She finds it very comfortable.
I also had the saddle bags added, so we could have room for extra clothing for these longer trips. They work well with the bike. If there are times I want to ride solo on a short trip, I can drop the bags and the passenger seat. I don't have pics of how this looks, only pics of the entire set-up.
There is plans in the near future to have the struts chromed. I am wondering if the saddle bag hangers will still work without the passenger struts.

Attached Thumbnails Rocker touring strut-img_0125.jpg   Rocker touring strut-img_0124.jpg   Rocker touring strut-img_0126.jpg   Rocker touring strut-img_0127.jpg  
Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 AM
kylant
Road Captain

my wife says it is very comfortable.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:52 PM
rubiconMike
Road Captain

I have the touring strut on mine. My girlfriend weighs about 110 lbs. and she finds it to be comfortable. We been on lots of short rides and a couple of 100+ rides.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:25 PM
reds2harleys
Tourer
Default 2 up

Just my opinion here but I this is coming from a Rocker owner who also owns a 99 Road King Classic. Do yourself and your wife a favor and buy a touring bike. Look around and pick the one you like best. Don't take what I'm saying wrong - I love my Rocker. I sold my 2000 Lowrider which I rode and enjoyed for almost 10 years and 30,000 miles to get the Rocker and its just an awesome bike. But - it is not designed for or good at long distance rides - esp 2 up. IMO. I have taken it on 2 - 3 hour ( each way ) rides and enjoyed myself but it can not compare to a Touring bike. Besides, once you load it up with things to make it a good long distance bike ( shield, bags etc ) then it loses the awesome looks that it has. I am fortunate in that I can have the best of both worlds but they are very different bikes and you really should decide before you buy whats important to you. Screaming looks or comfort. Good luck with whatever you pick.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:43 PM
DragonSlayer08
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rocker 2Up Seat

I looked at the HD seat (which is made mainly for the Rocker not Rocker C though it fits) but for a couple hundred more I went for a more comfortable seat for both of us, the Corbin Widowmaker. The HD Seat would have cost about the same once I had the grey Rocker touring strut either painted the color of my bike or chromed. If you choose to go with the HD passenger seat, order it from Zanotti Motor Co. Inc. they have decent prices. Happy riding with whatever you choose.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:33 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey great advice everyone. Thanks for your posts. So it seems a concensus that the touring strut with passenger pillion is ok. That's great news.

Fastcash0523: Thanks a million for posting those pics, it's an awesome setup you have and I think it's exactly what I want.

reds2harleys: I hear ya. I know a touring bike would be the best for us when we're touring. But I want a bike I can ride around town, to work, to my friends houses, etc. I want something different than what everyone else has, I'd like the idea of the HD engineered chopper, the rocker. I just think it's an awesome bike and one that I'd like to own. But my concern was that there might not be a viable option for my wife. So now thanks to everyone, I'm not worried about that anymore. It seems that shouldn't be a concern.

dwswanson: Thanks for the advice and the pics of the corbin seat. I had seen that one before, for some reason and I don't know exactly why, but for me it doesn't seem to match the bike. It's sort of makes the rocker look like a softtail custom again, it sort of loses it's identity with that big conventional seat. Only my opinion.

So now I have some more thinking, but I'm definately closer to buying.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Allart
Novice

Here is a pic of a Rocker with the strut system:

Old 11-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Roadjunkie1
Banned

some folks like them and some folks dont

Quick Reply: Rocker touring strut