Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Price For Used Heritage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:02 AM
D*Lucks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Price For Used Heritage?

I found a viv/black '07 Heritage with 35,000 miles on it for asking price of $14,900. It's a former rental and has a 2 year-50,000 mile limited power train warranty ($50 deduct). Of course, there's an extended warranty with better coverage, no deduct, available. I haven't seen it yet, but was wondering if this is a good price, comparatively, for a bike in decent condition. Another question would be...are former rentals generally a red flag, or is that just hit or miss? Thanks.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

I wouldn't go that high for a rental ... although rentals usually receive good maintenance a lot of people ride the crap out of them because don't have to worry about it being theirs and some will miss gears, ride the clutch, brake improperly. If check around am sure you find a much lower mileage Bike for close to the same price .. In this economy right now bikes are for sale on every corner for far less than they are actually worth... JMHO

Old 11-12-2008, 12:13 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Too much in my opinion. With the way the market is you can find a garage queen for that. Check craigslist, hdtrader, cycletrader, etc...

Old 11-12-2008, 06:20 AM
bloomington g
Road Captain

For that year bike, the top price should be at $15,100. The price you stated is pretty close to that mark.

Like the others have said, the fact that it was a rental is what is a bit different with this bike. Look at it this way, mileage really is not the issue with these bikes (now obviously, less is always better), but the fact that you don't know the rider history with this former rental unit is. The price you stated would be an alright buy on a one owner bike right now (keep in mind the time of year and the bad economy, because of those reasons, paying at the high is not wise). Also, with an personaly owned used bike, chances are that the previous owner has taken the hit on pipes, engine upgrades, and the sparkly doo dads that add up in price quickly. You get the advantage of those items being on the bike.

The bike being used in a rental fleet is hit or miss like you said. Some make it through in rather good shape (those bikes are known to the folks that work on maintaing the rental units, and are ususaly snatched up when they come out of service), and others are just abused beyond what would be considered normal wear and tear. ;^)

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the classifieds right here for motorcycles. We have members that are trying to sell thrie bikes alot cheaper than that. One that I want to jump all over is JCBOOF's '02 Heritage! It is awesome.....in my book it is a one of a kind for sure! Check it out!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:29 AM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep looking, you will be able to find an 06-07 with under 10,000 for that price or less. I'll bet it had a rough 35,000 miles put on it.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:14 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

rented or private owned your buying a used bike. hell a private owned bike could be misused and abused, if you like the bike and the price sounds good to you then buy it. theres always a better deal. you may find a 2007 for $10,000.00 next week or not run across one for a couple years. i had to travel 100 miles to get my 90 fxstc and paid $8500.00. for me it was a good deal and ive been able to ride it for the last 4 years. last year a guy around the corner sold a 2002 full dresser with everything you could put on a bike for $10,000.00. now that was a deal.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on what Dustmaker said. JCBOOF's '02 Heritage is what I would buy. Beautiful bike!

Shakey

Old 11-12-2008, 12:44 PM
D*Lucks
Advanced

Thanks for the responses. I'll be taking a look at it tomorrow and see just how fixed that price is. I have to say I've always leaned toward new when buying, but yeah, that "garage queen" could be out there somewhere.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

I've rented a few and usually beat the **** out of them. That's too much money, a new 2009 Fatboy is only $15K.

Quick Reply: Good Price For Used Heritage?