Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about changing my derby cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Question about changing my derby cover

I want to change out my derby cover for a custom one i had built. I want to do the job myself and finally went and bought a set of tools. is the oil in the primary going to come gushing out when i take the derby cover off???

how hard is this to do? it doesn't seem like it would be hard at all.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:58 AM
NAMVET
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not if you stand the bike straight up.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:47 AM
DaSham58
Tourer
Thumbs up

I just did mine and never lost a drop! took the total of maybe 5 minutes very simple. I replaced the points cover to which there is nothing behind there.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:28 AM
HotRoc54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alain, You need to do yourself a favor and go to your dealer and order yourself a shop manual for your scooter. Trust me, it will be money well spent if you like to do some of your own work. HD makes a very good manual that is easy to follow. JMO.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:13 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Put the kickstand up on a small piece of 2x4 and there will not be any spillage. I recommend loosening the bolts prior to doing this. If you have a jack use that instead.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by oleschool54
Alain, You need to do yourself a favor and go to your dealer and order yourself a shop manual for your scooter. Trust me, it will be money well spent if you like to do some of your own work. HD makes a very good manual that is easy to follow. JMO.
AMEN!!!!
If there is one and only one accessory or what I think should be considered a minimum necessity, even before tools. Its a copy of the service manual for your year/model bike, and a copy of the parts manual if you have any money left over.

As far as the cover goes, did you make it from scratch or did you get one and customize it yourself?
The reason I ask is because if you made it yourself did you make provision in the back for the rubber o-ring style gasket it uses?

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 11-20-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
AMEN!!!!
If there is one and only one accessory or what I think should be considered a minimum necessity, even before tools. Its a copy of the service manual for your year/model bike, and a copy of the parts manual if you have any money left over.

As far as the cover goes, did you make it from scratch or did you get one and customize it yourself?
The reason I ask is because if you made it yourself did you make provision in the back for the rubber o-ring style gasket it uses?
Hey fellers. Yep, my next purchase will be a service manual. Believe it or not, i've been meaning to purchase one but i keep forgetting for some reason.

As far as the derby cover, I had it made by a professional so it's good to go.

Can I re-use the rubber o-ring gasket that's on there now?

Old 11-20-2008, 02:47 PM
learfxr
Tourer

You may get away with using your old o-ring, but the 1000 mile service kit with that o-ring and the ones for the oil drain bolts is around $5 at the dealer, so not a big deal.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:21 PM
mjmangus
Tourer

Does the new cover have a groove built in to hold the o-ring in place? If not then you'll want to buy a derby gasket.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 PM
hardhead
Tourer

While you've got your derby cover off, go ahead and replace the 5 oxidized torx head bolts. I used stainless allen head bolts with washers. It looks way better IMO. They look like chrome and they don't strip out as easily. Also put some anti-sieze lube on the bolts before reinstalling. You'll be glad you did when it's time to remove the cover to adjust the clutch.

Quick Reply: Question about changing my derby cover