Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting a factory set of Rigid Leather Roadking bags on Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:37 PM
jslamerman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting a factory set of Rigid Leather Roadking bags on Fatboy

What would be the best method?? I love the lines of the factory Roadking Custom bags (probably not the biggest damn bags because of shock cutouts, but.......), Ive seen the cycle visions mounting, not exactly the prettiest, and the Bubbas bags (my favorites so far). Could I just use some other generic system to attach them to my existing quick release mounts?? I want to do this right the first time, considering the purchase cost of bags, and now an exhaust that will allow use of these (probably VH sideshots). Ive got a widetire 2007 version, with lots of mods so it was either this, or a new 2009 streetglide (couldnt bring myself to part with it after installing an HD inverted fork, a set of 52 spoke DNA mamoth rims, including a 21x3 front). ANY help would be appreciated. Id also like to be able to remove them without a lot of ugly hardware if possible, if not the best looking permanently installed look (and hopefully somewhat cost effective)

Old 11-24-2008, 12:49 PM
softail04
Road Master

easy brackets are the easiest and only leave a small **** on the bike when not installed.
just put them on mt bike and work great..

Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 PM
jslamerman
Advanced

Originally Posted by softail04
easy brackets are the easiest and only leave a small **** on the bike when not installed.
just put them on mt bike and work great..
Those are exactly what I am looking for......but, I have detachable harware for both a detachable old school 30" sissy bar, and for a rear rack (ala harley davidson with detachable side plates, and relocated turn signals). I am assuming this stuff is incompatible?? The turn signals dont bug me (I like how they relocate them to the plate bracket), what about the other stuff I currently have??

Old 11-24-2008, 04:42 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I dont think the Easy Brackets are a good choice for bags as large as Road King bags. You need some additional support lower on the bags due to the size. With the larger bags you get a lot of wiggle with only the EZ Brackets.

I have EZ Brackets on my Osprey bags that are 21 x 8 x 13 and I dont think I would want to go much larger or heaver with only the EZ Brackets.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:12 PM
jslamerman
Advanced

Would the bare back mounts be better for a Roadking bag?? Which version will provide good support and stick out the least(which will look best)?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 PM
jrspringer06
Tourer

You have to use a kit like the cycle vision or similar for the support bars that run under the bottom of the bag. Dont try hangin those heavy bags on just the strut mounts like smaller bags are mounted, your just asking fot troubles.

Here is another style
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories

Old 11-24-2008, 10:00 PM
J
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a set of Road King Custom bags and a set of easy brackets that I was going to put on soon. Are they really too big and heavy for the easy brackets? I don't want them permanently attached and I will only use them once in awhile. Has anyone on here seen them mounted with easy brackets? Any pics??

Old 11-24-2008, 10:13 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 AM
jslamerman
Advanced

Well, this officially stinks. I thought there was a cleaner way to mount them without cluttering the rearend with the cycle visions stuff. Even with their painted inserts, Id still have visible bracketry behind me, and I wouldnt be able to remove the bags. Id have bought a new Streetglide instead..........

Old 11-25-2008, 07:38 AM
TheNotchDeux
Advanced

I have to concur on extra support for the Easy Brackets. Without it, those bags will be flopping around like a crappie fighting for air.

Quick Reply: Mounting a factory set of Rigid Leather Roadking bags on Fatboy