Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop the front of my Train?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Drop the front of my Train?

I assume front is stock. I know the previous owner used the bolt lowering kit on the rear and it seems to be 2-2.5" lowered.

I'm thinking that lowering the front would even out the bike, give it a more balanced look and possibly make it handle better in the process.

BK rider is slinging those $50.00 progressive front springs on Flea-Bay all day long. Is that the stuff I want to use?

Old 02-15-2009, 12:32 PM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I just installed Progressive,s Drop in Front lowering springs, took a little over an hour. Will take some pics and post ASAP. Dropped 2 inches and I think it looks much better.

Attached Thumbnails Drop the front of my Train?-100_0577.jpg  
Old 02-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by DECON BLUE
I just installed Progressive,s Drop in Front lowering springs, took a little over an hour. Will take some pics and post ASAP. Dropped 2 inches and I think it looks much better.
Right on!

On my KTM MX bikes I can take off the fork caps and pull the springs straight up and out. Is it the same on the Harley fork?

Is this the spring set Defcon?:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/41mm-...spagenameZWDVW

Anyone else gots photos of the dropped front with progressives?

Old 02-15-2009, 02:32 PM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, pull the handlebars, jackup front wheel of ground to relieve spring pressure, carefully remove caps, pull old out and install new with extra compensator springs and reassemble. I will post pics if it stops raining!!

Attached Thumbnails Drop the front of my Train?-100_0583.jpg  
Old 02-15-2009, 03:21 PM
squale147
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great... is that an 05??

Old 02-15-2009, 04:14 PM
mafosa
Cruiser
Default heres mine

that lowering kits not the right one. there saying its a progressive wound spring. not a progressive spring from progressive. dennis kirk? has them for like $110.00 or so. the drop in lowering one. i didnt need to remove the bars. i removed the tire, fender, brake calibor, loosened the blinkers (slid them out of the way) loosened the lower pintch bolts, removed the top bolt and top side screws. slid each fork down untill they where matched to the lower triple tree clamp and retorqued the pintch bolt (acting as a vice) then removed the fork plug ( under med. pressure) then loosened the pintch bolt and slid the fork the rest of the way out to unload the stock springs.
load the progressive long spring first then the smaller spring, washer, spacer, washer then thread the the plug back im. duplicate the other side. then reasseble. 45 to uninstall and sure 30 to reinstall. two more times to fine tune the height spacer.
sorry for the blury pic. and i cant seem to get photobucket or this site to use another server. kept saying file to large in the url box.

Attached Thumbnails Drop the front of my Train?-imgp0636-custom-.jpg   Drop the front of my Train?-imgp0639-custom-.jpg   Drop the front of my Train?-imgp0640-custom-.jpg   Drop the front of my Train?-imgp0642-custom-.jpg   Drop the front of my Train?-imgp0643-custom-.jpg  

Old 02-15-2009, 04:16 PM
mafosa
Cruiser

some more

Attached Thumbnails Drop the front of my Train?-imgp0644-custom-.jpg   Drop the front of my Train?-imgp0645-custom-.jpg   Drop the front of my Train?-imgp0646-custom-.jpg   Drop the front of my Train?-imgp0647-custom-.jpg   Drop the front of my Train?-imgp0648-custom-.jpg  

Old 02-15-2009, 04:19 PM
mafosa
Cruiser

last batch. mines lowered 3/4 rear and about 1 1/2 in the front.

Attached Thumbnails Drop the front of my Train?-imgp0649-custom-.jpg   Drop the front of my Train?-imgp0650-custom-.jpg   Drop the front of my Train?-imgp0651-custom-.jpg  
Old 02-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by squale147
looks great... is that an 05??
Yup...05 with a freshly done up motor and it now has a set of Big Shot staggereds, All braided magnum chromite lines, mirror polished rotors, Performance machine/ Renthal black grips and a set of black slotted levers. I'll have to take some new photos when I get it back from the Tuner.

Just had the heads milled light porting hand matched rings, adjustable P-Rods and it gets tuned on Tueseday.

Heres the pre-tuned dyno sheet:

Had to yank the standard big shots and replace them with the staggereds with the larger diameter outlet and power chamber. Blue lines are where I'm at pre-tuned so I'm eagerly knocking at the 100/100 door! Not a biggie down at sea-level but up here at 6-7,000 feet above its decent.

It lives in the shed next to my "Other" pride and joy....

Thanks for the advice gents. I found the correct $100 set of springs on Flea-Bay and got them ordered and enroute!

Last edited by Chazmanian; 02-15-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by mafosa
last batch. mines lowered 3/4 rear and about 1 1/2 in the front.
That looks effin' sah-weet. I actually like that back fender and one of my hot button points for choosing the train was the upturned "Bob" or what I construe as a corvette styled rear fender.

Your bike looks hot Bro. Thats just the perfect color to boot

Quick Reply: Drop the front of my Train?