Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Difference in wheels

Ok fellow forum writers, readers and a few of you who know their stuff.. On its way my frontend 58mm Ultima inverted.. I will be installing it on a 08 Rocker, the actual install is pretty straight forward.. This front end is intended to be used with the 84-99 FXST wheel and caliper, the caliper I beleive i can get/make a bracket to make it work with the current caliper....Here is my question, how different is the 84-99 FXST wheel to the rocker? from what ive read same size and width but that is pretty much all i've found.. Im hoping MOCO went retro and its the same wheel, but I know im not that lucky.. Any Info Thanks...

Old 02-25-2009, 10:00 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

84-99 have timkin bearings which are not sealed and will take a different size spacer. Not really a big deal, but something else you need. I have no idea what size spacer you'll need.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

So, it could be as simple as a spacer? That would be luck.. Thanks Dude

Old 02-25-2009, 10:26 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I forgot to say that the older wheels have 3/4" bearings as opposed to whatever size the bearings are in the newer bikes. I think you have 25mm or something like that now.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

That would be a problem. A: get new/used wheel B: change out axle which means bearings, racers, hub etc etc...hmmm

Old 02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

Check with HD you may be able to get a bearing kit for the wheel that includes the bearings and spacer you need. When I replaced the wheels on my RK they came without the bearings and I just ordered the kit I needed to fit the axles I have on the bike.

As for the caliper bracket you may be able to modify the bracket for clearance for your caliper if the mounting holes are the same distance apart as the 84-99 calipers. I think the demension of the rotor may be a problem more than the caliper. The 84-99's used a stock 11.5 inch rotor what diameter are yours?

Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MCSarge
Check with HD you may be able to get a bearing kit for the wheel that includes the bearings and spacer you need. When I replaced the wheels on my RK they came without the bearings and I just ordered the kit I needed to fit the axles I have on the bike.

As for the caliper bracket you may be able to modify the bracket for clearance for your caliper if the mounting holes are the same distance apart as the 84-99 calipers. I think the demension of the rotor may be a problem more than the caliper. The 84-99's used a stock 11.5 inch rotor what diameter are yours?
Good idea, i will check and see if i can just replace the guts on my wheel.. The rotor is the same size... Thanks for the info..

Old 02-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the Ultima inverted have a 1" or 3/4" axle. I am assuming 3/4", you're Rocker has a 1" axle and a narrower front end, more like a mid glide so you will need to space out the rotor also. The 2000 up calipers wont bolt up as you know, so you need either an adapter bracket or get an earlier style caliper. You used to be able to get the caliper adapters but I can't find them anymore. The MoCo also changed the rotor diameter from 11.5" to 11.8" in 08 I think, so you may have to get a new rotor. I went through this on my 04 Train.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wallaby
Does the Ultima inverted have a 1" or 3/4" axle. I am assuming 3/4", you're Rocker has a 1" axle and a narrower front end, more like a mid glide so you will need to space out the rotor also. The 2000 up calipers wont bolt up as you know, so you need either an adapter bracket or get an earlier style caliper. You used to be able to get the caliper adapters but I can't find them anymore. The MoCo also changed the rotor diameter from 11.5" to 11.8" in 08 I think, so you may have to get a new rotor. I went through this on my 04 Train.
Wallaby,

I will double check the diameter of the rotor. The diameter of the axle is diffrent so im prepared for that change.. If I cant find the caliper bracket, i will see if i can fab one up, but wont know until the front end gets here, tracking shows saturday... Thanks for the info anything else you think I might run into shoot me an email or pm.. Thanks

How did/does the front end handle any problems with it? I ordered it with 5* rake.

Last edited by Joe What; 02-26-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: add question
Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

J&P has an inverted front end brake caliper mounting bracket part number 242-513 it's for softails and dyna's and FXR's so it might be a universal adapter you can make work. they also have spacers for the rotors to move them out far enough for the new wide glide front end your installing.

You might also ask HD if they have a wide glide kit with the spacers you need to set up the new front end. They probably do since their selling the new inverted front ends now.

Make sure when you mount the new bearings and spacer in your wheel that you have the proper end play so you don't burn up the bearings.

Quick Reply: Difference in wheels