Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FATBOY forward controls and apes PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:15 PM
08fattoy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FATBOY forward controls and apes PICS!

Finishing up on my winter upgrades.

Bought the forward control brackets on ebay. From an 09 Night Train (brand new $10). Could have gone cheap and bought stock shift and brake levers, but wanted to do something different so went with the HD billet levers.

Wouldn't call them FORWARD controls though. I'm 5"10 with 30" inseam and I may option for an extension at some point.

Still batting around what grips to put on. Done a lot reading here and have it narrowed down to PM's or HD Chrome and Rubber to match the foot controls. I've had the Skull and knurled grips and ending up putting the stock back on.

Attached Thumbnails FATBOY forward controls and apes PICS!-harley-0004.jpg   FATBOY forward controls and apes PICS!-harley-0006.jpg   FATBOY forward controls and apes PICS!-harley-0002.jpg   FATBOY forward controls and apes PICS!-harley-0009.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Dartman59 (03-24-2024)
Old 03-18-2009, 09:21 PM
JR Ryder
Tourer

As far as the forward controls go, I want to do EXACTLY what you have done there with extensions, (I'm 6'3").... Can you now add extensions? Any chance you can provide part #'s for what you've done there? I'll order the stuff tomorrow!!! LOOKS GREAT..... AWESOME.... I cringe every time I talk about forward controls. How did you make out with the kickstand assembly? Stock? Did you need an '06 stand like some of the aftermarket guys suggest?... Thanks, JR

Last edited by JR Ryder; 03-18-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM
08fattoy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JR Ryder
I want to do EXACTLY what you have done there with extensions, (I'm 6'3").... Can you now add extensions? Any chance you can provide part #'s for what you've done there? I'll order the stuff tomorrow!!! LOOKS GREAT..... AWESOME.... I cringe every time I talk about forward controls. How did you make out with the kickstand assembly? Stock? Did you need an '06 stand like some of the aftermarket guys suggest?... Thanks, JR
It will take me some time to get the part numbers. Yes, I saw somebody has a 3" extension. Used my Fatboy kickstand and yes it was a bear to install, just had to LEAN on it.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:48 PM
JR Ryder
Tourer

As far as the actual "bracket" goes, is it chrome or black? Is there any difference between the actual "bracket" and the one listed here?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 03-18-2009, 10:32 PM
08fattoy
Cruiser
Default pic of the bracket

Originally Posted by JR Ryder
As far as the actual "bracket" goes, is it chrome or black? Is there any difference between the actual "bracket" and the one listed here?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Attached Thumbnails FATBOY forward controls and apes PICS!-harley-bracket.jpg  
Old 03-19-2009, 04:49 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

What a transformation dude, looks SICK!!!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Puzzled
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for you. At 5' 10" and with Apes how much of your foot is actually on the forward controls?

As for the question about forward control extensions, Ness has a set that works well.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:24 AM
kkinderen
Road Master

Originally Posted by 08fattoy
Still batting around what grips to put on. Done a lot reading here and have it narrowed down to PM's or HD Chrome and Rubber to match the foot controls. I've had the Skull and knurled grips and ending up putting the stock back on.
I had the HD narrow band grips and went to the PM. There were two improvements. When it is cold outside, those metal grips really suck the heat out of your hands. Also, the grip on the PMs is sure. No slipping. I felt like I had to grab the metal grips but just lay my hand on the PMs.

It was nice having the grips match the pegs pedal and floor boards.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Puzzled
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the PM/Renthals and really like them. As an alternative there is a company called Avon (like the tire) that has grips. Ness sells the Avon's also. For all intents and purposes they are the same as the PM/Renthals but for less money and with more options.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 PM
08fattoy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Puzzled
Question for you. At 5' 10" and with Apes how much of your foot is actually on the forward controls?

As for the question about forward control extensions, Ness has a set that works well.
I could use 2 more inches maybe. 3 may be too much. Don't know for sure. Thanks, I'll have to check out the NESS extensions.

Quick Reply: FATBOY forward controls and apes PICS!