Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Roodog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed

Hi there, I'm new to HD Forum, just pick myself up a new 06 FXSTI after riding a Ducati Super Sports, could someone please give my some advice on a good staggered exhaust system for my new baby, and will it help to run a power commander after changing the exhaust, by the way I live in Perth Western Australia.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:18 PM
XRP
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Advice Needed

Welcome from Canada.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Roodog
Cruiser

Thanks Mr Claire, its nice to be part of the family

Old 05-30-2006, 12:05 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm presuming you have EFI?

By staggered, you mean that you want the tips offset similar to the stock exhaust?

I don't know what Harley is doing in Australia, but because of the EPA here in the United States they are getting out of the exhaust business so you might find a deal on a set of Harley Screamin' Eagle exhaust or you may not be able to find any at all. I just bought some used double barrel 16 gauge full headers. Harley also sold slip ons. I just read an article that said that the slip ons were the best bang for the buck. Personally, I don't like the way that many of them look and their sound (for the baloney cuts) is too "popping" for me.

Anyway, you need to hear what you are buying on another bike if at all possible. I didn't decide on what I wanted until I went to a big event where I could look at any number of different pipes... (Daytona Bike Week).

I like SuperTrapps.

I would suggest that you get a Screamin' Eagle stage I air cleaner at the same time that you do the pipes.

I spent a lot of time researching my ECM options and picked a Power Commander III USB. I don't intend to upgrade any other performance options on the engine so this seemed to be the best option that >I< can control. For example, I may change the exhaust again and I can take my laptop and the bike to a dyno and set it up for the new choice that I made. The PCIII is not that complicated to set up but you do need some engine tuning and computer knowledge to make it easy and more foolproof. You can also go to a dealer that has a dyno and they will set it up for you, for a fee of course.

If you're want the maximum flexibility and performance then I would suggest the Harely SERT. (Screamin' Eagle Racing Tuner). You will spend at least $100 more for this selection than the PCIII.

You can also use a combination of the Harley Download and the SERF (Scream Eagle Race Fueler). When you are done with this, you won't be able to adjust it yourself and you will spend the same amount as you did on the PCIII if you set up the PCIII yourself.

There are also some other higher end higher performance tuners out there. It's all a matter of budget, skills, and ultimate goal. If you have EFI, you MUST recalibrate your ECM, so don't try to get by without it.

C#

Old 05-30-2006, 08:39 AM
SDMF
Road Warrior

G'day Roodog, and welcome from Arizona...

Sounds like cwsharp covered the PCIII and SERT considerations. As for pipes, there's a bunch of options available. Take your time and explore whats out there and what you're looking for (sound, performance, looks...) Good luck!!

Old 05-31-2006, 08:50 AM
93HD
Advanced

vance&hines or reinharts make some nice staggered exhaust good quality.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:00 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did what you want to do. I did mega research on pipes before I bought a 06FXSTI in Dec05.

I put about 400 miles on it while waiting for my pipes to come in so I know what it was like stock. Then I took it back to the dealer and had them put on a set of Vance and Hines Straight Shots, SERT(Screaming Eagla Race Tuner) and SE air filter.

I am very pleased with the results, the bike runs perfect, pulls hard in all gears across the whole RPM band. They sound bad-***!!! and are not obnoxious loud, no popping, crackling or that other stupid stuff. IMO the Straight Shots are the best staggered drag pipes out there as far as quality and looks.

A lot of guys say you will lose bottom end torque or top end torque when you go to true duals. They are full of crap as far as I am concerned. At least that didn't happen with the set-up I went with.

However, if you want it to run right, you have to do the SERT or PC and the air filter kit. If you try to do it on the cheap without the remap and air cleaner it will not run very good.

My setup was not cheap, the pipes were around $400.00, the SERT was $500 and the air cleaner was $150 I think...and then there was labor... but it was worth it. I love riding that thing! I would post a pic but I'm having problems with that whole pic posting thing.

Go for it, you will love it!!!! You will have one bad-*** Standard!!!!

Rick

Old 06-03-2006, 11:29 AM
nobody
Cruiser

G'day Roodog from Sydney

There aren't the selection of exhausts available here in Oz that are available elsewhere.You can get Vance and Hines pipes,but they are probably the most expensive,you can get Samson,but beware because you also need to get the chrome covers for these and they are extra on top of the price of the exhaust.You can buy others from the U.S. and have them shipped,there is also a Guy in Tasmania that makes HiJacker exhausts.These have been tested in a few of the Mags and they seem to work well,sound great and are extremely well made,and he can manufacture them with whatever end configuration you like ie.slash cut,turn out,staggered etc.Also they are a lot thicker than any of the other pipes,which seems to give a deeper more resonant note.He will also make the pipes whatever length you like ie short or long etc.

Just a few ideas

[IMG]local://upfiles/7663/74D410B29FDB4A4C8B2F937D393A0A31.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the staggered V&H Straight Shots HS they are sweet and have a lower than normal V&H sound (HS=hot rod sound). Heres a link to some pics, I was wanting a traditional staggered look and they fit the bill to a T.
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/Unibomber/

Old 06-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Boogie Knights
Advanced

Save y'self the aggro, go V&H, and crack open a tinnie with the spare time![sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: Advice Needed