Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Heritage Stock Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Man In Black
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2010 Heritage Stock Mufflers

I like the look of the stock tapered mufflers on my new 2010 Heritage but they are a little too quiet. I have looked everywhere for a similar muffler that just has a little more of the Harley rumble but nobody seems to be making it for a reasonable price. My question is , has anyone knocked or drilled the plug out that is visable about six inches back inside the mufflers, and what does it sound like ? Will it need to have anything re-adjusted at the dealer or will it affect the warranty coverage ?

Old 08-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude....

You have a brand new $20,000 bike and you wanna get all shade tree silly on it now?

You can dick with the baffles and find some noise if thats what you are after but for chrissakes man get on E-Bay and at least buy a set of cheap slip ons instead!!

Welcome to the crazy house but remember...You hang around here for long and the couple hunnert you need for a set of slip ons will pale in comparision to what you will have spent by years end.

Get out while you can Mang!!

Oh yeah....Here:http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Old 08-28-2009, 12:04 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

yea, Its been done!!

Do a seach on that and read a couple of the post on it..

ones i've heard sounds like a VW farting.

Last edited by oct1949; 08-31-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Man In Black
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
Dude....

You have a brand new $20,000 bike and you wanna get all shade tree silly on it now?

You can dick with the baffles and find some noise if thats what you are after but for chrissakes man get on E-Bay and at least buy a set of cheap slip ons instead!!

Welcome to the crazy house but remember...You hang around here for long and the couple hunnert you need for a set of slip ons will pale in comparision to what you will have spent by years end.

Get out while you can Mang!!

Oh yeah....Here:http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Not new to the Harley world, been riding for over forty years with a total of over thirty Harleys, four of them new and I know how expensive they can be, but buying those cheap slip ons from ebay only gets you something that starts rusting in six months. Thats why I prefer to modify the stock mufflers with at least good chrome. I'm not looking for sound that blows your brains out, just something that don't sound like a Honda, so modifying makes sense.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:33 PM
flstci
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out page 7 of DIY cheap mods, I have two versions that may work for you....

Old 08-28-2009, 01:42 PM
BrianJ
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flstci
Check out page 7 of DIY cheap mods, I have two versions that may work for you....
I went to the DIY area and don't see where you're talking about? I must be looking in the wrong spot.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:37 PM
flstci
Advanced
Old 08-28-2009, 02:44 PM
BrianJ
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to get home and check this out!!

Old 08-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Man In Black
Not new to the Harley world, been riding for over forty years with a total of over thirty Harleys, four of them new and I know how expensive they can be, but buying those cheap slip ons from ebay only gets you something that starts rusting in six months. Thats why I prefer to modify the stock mufflers with at least good chrome. I'm not looking for sound that blows your brains out, just something that don't sound like a Honda, so modifying makes sense.
Not trying to be argumentitive but when I said cheap slip on I was referring to Cycle shack, Screaming Eaglet, Vance & Hines etc..etc.. All of which are at least the quality of the OEM if not better IMO.

Vance & Hines chrome is of higher quality than Harleys OEM chrome hands down.

I couldnt imagine being fearful of rust to the point of gutting my stock muffs instead? You must have had some real chitty slip ons in the past!!

Is your long term plan with the bike to ride it around on OEM gutted muffs or are any other mods in store for the future?

Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM
flstci
Advanced

What I like about the stock mufflers are the looks and they are very unique, hardly anybody leaves them on. They are basically good mufflers, they just need tweaked a bit. It really is whatever sound and looks you want. I have run Vance & Hines Straight Shots, Screamin Eagle 2's, Cycle Shacks, and plain old drag pipes with every combination of baffles available, been there done that. The bikes do come with some really nice mufflers form the factory, they just need a little work.....

Quick Reply: 2010 Heritage Stock Mufflers