Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Deluxe Stalling out.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:20 PM
ccdeluxe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Deluxe Stalling out.

Hi I have read your posts, I dont have much done to my 08 Softail Deluxe, some Vance and Hines pipes and larger air filter. The dealer has done all the work to my bike to this point. I took the bike in last August, due to it stalling and back firing at intersections. I figured it was the heat. The dealer couldnt duplicate the problem. Well today Nov. 29, 2009, It was 73 degrees here in Louisiana and I was not in stop and go traffic, coming into intersections it wants to stall when I pull the clutch in. I have to keep popping the throttle to keep it running. When I pulled into my shop to park it I checked the charging system to see that I was getting sufficient spark. (13.92 VDC) Thats fine. Then I start to smell gas like its running too rich. I crack the throttle a few times and I see blue flames firing out of the pipes!! Looks great!!! but thats not right. I think my bike is running to rich!!??????? Does the MAP need to be reset?
Anyone have any ideas? I guess its back to the dealer, UGH!!! Also I would like to add that this bike has ran great other than these two times, and I have no power commander!!
If anyone can help me out with this, it would be much appreciated. Too much money to be stalling out, looking like an idiot in traffic!! MAN!!

Old 11-29-2009, 09:22 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert Indy... but when I read your post I focused on your "Vance and Hines with larger air cleaner" You'd figure the dealer would set thing up properly, but I would agree with you that it seems like your fuel/air mix is out of whack. It's may be starving for air and flooding in gas. I sure hope you get it resolved and especially not have to cost you a ton of cash. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:59 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Had an intermittent stalling problem with my Heritage. Found that if I just hit the start button it would start back up but next intersection it would stall again. But if I turned the key switch off and then restarted I could go alot longer w/o a stall.

Finally took it to the dealer. Said they couldn't replicate the problem but they installed updated software for the ecm. Didn't make any sense to me since the bike had run fine for 10k but the bike has run like a clock since.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:39 PM
MADDOG808
Advanced
Default Stalling

Aloha all,

I too have a 2008 Deluxe. I installed the Stage-1 air cleaner. I'm currently running Reinhart slip on mufflers. I was told by the local dealer. When you change your exhaust you should be able to run fine. But once you change the air flow. Like going with a bigger air filter. You will have to either get your chip re-mapped or get a programmer or you will have back firing and other problems. Your engine sounds like it's running too RICH. And that can be bad for your engine if your keep running it that way. I went with the Screaming Eagle super tuner. Bike runs awsome and also more responsive on the throttle.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:11 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

did U install a real F/M system or just remap.
I have read numerous times to not do a HD remap...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-be-tuned.html

There are so many really good F/M system to tune Ur bike, I would check into one of many if U haven't already.....

Old 12-01-2009, 12:23 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
did U install a real F/M system or just remap.
I have read numerous times to not do a HD remap...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-be-tuned.html

There are so many really good F/M system to tune Ur bike, I would check into one of many if U haven't already.....
I was wondering the same. My bike backfired like hell when I had the download. I got a power commander and a Dyno and it was a different bike.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:31 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Wasn't there something going on with the fuel filter on some of the 08's

Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Emonster6x
Cruiser

Take it back to the dealer!

Old 12-01-2009, 12:28 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ? is...Did you put a Power Comander or a Dobeck tuner on when you did the Exhaust and Air Cleaner..
When I put the Rush and Air Cleaner on my 06 Deluxe I also put a Dobeck tuner on then road to my Indy for Dyno and adjustments(only a few miles)and when he put it on the dyno it was running super rich..

Old 12-01-2009, 01:55 PM
btencate
6th Gear

My 06 Nighttrain had the same problem with the vance & Hines pipes. I had the big radius and had it in and out of the dealer. They kept telling me the only thing to get rid of that problem was to get THIER Race Tuner. I finally wrote a note to Harley corportate and explained my problem. The had a tech from corporate testing call me and explained to me that the harly Stage 1 download is only good for Screaming Eagle parts. It works with others but there will be popping and stalling and that is supposed to be normal. Finally I got a power commander and had it dyno tuned and all my problems went away. Are you getting puffs of air out of your intake? That was also one of my problems.

Quick Reply: 08 Deluxe Stalling out.