Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help to bleed front brake on 95 FLSTC

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:28 AM
patharley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help to bleed front brake on 95 FLSTC

I try many time to bleed my front brake after changing the brake line but my brake still not working. Any tricks ?

Old 12-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Irish Rod
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres one I use. Get yourself an Old style Pump oil can, usually get them in a Hardware store. Wash out the can with some Dot 5 fluid until clean. Now get a tube to fit over the oil can end. This tube should also fit on the bleed screw nipple. (I use the breather pipe you usually get with a vented battery) Now with the bleed screw open,and master cylinder cover removed, attached the filled with Dot 5 fluid pump can to the bleed screw nipple with the tube. Put a small drop of fluid into the master cylinder as well,just enough to cover the breather hole. Now,start pumping. You should feel pressure as you pump,careful that the tube does,nt fall off the bleed screw nipple as this will shoot fluid everywhere. As you do this bubbles should start appearing in the master cylinder. When Master cylinder starts to fill and shows no more bubbles, close bleed screw nipple and check for pressure at the lever, no pressure repeat process,more bubbles should appear. If you have slight pressure,bleed line at screw.

Have used this method a few times now and it works nicely. I too have spent too many hours pumping levers and opening/closing bleed screws to no effect. It would drive you crazy. Hope this help ya.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I have done in the past is fill the reservoir with fluid...
bungee the brake lever open (brake applied)... loosen the bleed screw...attach some tubing so you don't drip fluid on anything...and let it sit...
check the fluid every so often
I have done this overnight with good success...

CC

Old 12-05-2009, 12:02 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 12-05-2009, 12:13 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member

Best info you can get

Old 12-05-2009, 01:29 PM
patharley
Tourer

Originally Posted by Irish Rod
Heres one I use. Get yourself an Old style Pump oil can, usually get them in a Hardware store. Wash out the can with some Dot 5 fluid until clean. Now get a tube to fit over the oil can end. This tube should also fit on the bleed screw nipple. (I use the breather pipe you usually get with a vented battery) Now with the bleed screw open,and master cylinder cover removed, attached the filled with Dot 5 fluid pump can to the bleed screw nipple with the tube. Put a small drop of fluid into the master cylinder as well,just enough to cover the breather hole. Now,start pumping. You should feel pressure as you pump,careful that the tube does,nt fall off the bleed screw nipple as this will shoot fluid everywhere. As you do this bubbles should start appearing in the master cylinder. When Master cylinder starts to fill and shows no more bubbles, close bleed screw nipple and check for pressure at the lever, no pressure repeat process,more bubbles should appear. If you have slight pressure,bleed line at screw.

Have used this method a few times now and it works nicely. I too have spent too many hours pumping levers and opening/closing bleed screws to no effect. It would drive you crazy. Hope this help ya.
This is exactly what I do but I still dont have brake in the front..

Old 12-05-2009, 01:37 PM
olcrazy1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure system is sealed, meaning no leaks in fittings, connectiones etc...
Old mechanic tric when you have a hard to bleed air pocket is to fill the resivoir open the bleeder and just let it sit for an hour or so, lots of times the air will work its way out. close bleeder, pump it up. then with hand off brake open bleeder, then pull brake and hold, close bleeder while brake is held. after closing pump it up again, then release. Open bleeder while brake is released, pull and hold in then close bleeder again. Make sure you have fluid in resivoir and pump brake up again assuming you have pressure now pull and hold and open bleeder one last time while holding, lever will bottom out and fluid will flow, keep it held and close bleeder, top of fluids, replace cover and you should be good. Key is not to pump lever with bleeder open. doing tis has never let me down in cars or bikes.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:39 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

try the link I posted before. I haven't done this but it makes sense.