Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage bags on a Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 02:06 PM
FLHX08
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Heritage bags on a Fatboy

Has anyone put Heritage bags on a Fatboy. If so what is needed as far a bolts, or a kit from HD, or other. I have a set of bags off a 09 Heritage Classic and am looking at putting them on a 03 Fatboy which has mounting points for a detachable sissy bar. he has Vance and Hines pipes which allow clearance for the bags to go on.

I have a set of bags off a 2009 Heritage and a friend has a 2003 Fatboy. he's interested but not if they'll not work.

Last edited by FLHX08; 01-02-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:13 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about HD ... but I have used the Easy Brackets on a couple bikes in the past. I like the fact that they are lockable and removable. I'm considering a new Fat Boy (either '09 or '10), and if I do I might go Easy Brackets with a set of bags from Chilhowee. I like Chil's bags for a Fat Boy a little more than the HD bags I've seen (except for the lockable hard-leather bags on the Deluxe and Road King).

Old 01-02-2010, 06:31 AM
SoonerSoftail
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To mount them as stock you would need the four studs that attach the bags to the fender struts and the two "Z" shaped brackets that attach to frame at the rear foot pegs. None of that should cost much.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:36 AM
ski917
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HEY !.. hold phone.. just wanted to give you aheads up. I'm doing the same thing on my 07 fatboy. for you go with the quick release brackets. I ordered the correct brackets for my 07 with quick disconnect sissybar, and they WON'T WORK WITH THE HERITAGE BAGS! I'm looking into this matter waiting to hear back from easy brackets. Basically either I will have to send mine back to exchange them for the heritage bags. the problem I'm having is if the struts on my fatboy are in the same (bolt locations) as on a Heritage with a quick disconnect sissybar. Or you can go to ghostbracts.com there's are the same as easy bracktes, yet the ghost brackets are adjustable so you can set it to go with your/and mine quick disconnects. I'f you decide to go with the ghost brackets look at there heritage one's that will work with the Heritage bags like ours. 06 and up.. Let me know how it goes with you, and I will do the same.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your in luck. here is a thread with pictures
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...r-the-boy.html

Old 01-02-2010, 08:14 AM
FLHX08
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail
To mount them as stock you would need the four studs that attach the bags to the fender struts and the two "Z" shaped brackets that attach to frame at the rear foot pegs. None of that should cost much.
I use to own a 03 Heritage so am very familiar with these type of bags. we put the bags up against his bike to see if the mounting points are the same and they're not. there isn't even a hole where the front mounting point would be on the Fatboy fender strut. I'm thinking about just selling the bags and giving someone a deal on them. I bought them in hope of him wanting them and the light is fading.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:16 AM
FLHX08
Road Captain

I emailed easy brackets and this was the reply..

Those bags and your bike are not very compatible. Especiall if you want to use Easy Brackets

First thing you would need to do is relocate the turnsignals to the tailight area in order to mount those bags to your bike.

Once that is done you would need to order one of the larger ST-L1 family of Easy Brackets depending on your backrest set up.

After that you will have to modify the back of the bag in order to mount the Easy Brackets. Due to the back of the Heritage bag not being flat you will have to shim out the bracket from the bag. The factory holes on the bag of the saddlbag also will not line up with the bracket for your bike that we are using so 4 new holes will be drilled in each bag.

Sorry it's not the best solution but I would rather tell you up front the challenges then just to say it will work and then leave you to figure it out.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:19 PM
FLHX08
Road Captain

I just spoke with my friend about these bags on his Fatboy. He said he doesn't want to relocate the tail lights so it's a no go. thanks for your help everyone. I guess I bought a set of heritage bags that I need to sell now. anyone interested, then check out my classified add here.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:47 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHX08
I just spoke with my friend about these bags on his Fatboy. He said he doesn't want to relocate the tail lights so it's a no go. thanks for your help everyone. I guess I bought a set of heritage bags that I need to sell now. anyone interested, then check out my classified add here.
seems you dont have to relocate them
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...r-the-boy.html

Old 01-02-2010, 02:40 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,941 Likes on 1,925 Posts

I was also going to say that at least on earlier model Fatboy's there are not as many strut bolts. The Heritage has an extra strut bolt for the bag mounting.

Quick Reply: Heritage bags on a Fatboy