Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:37 PM
honkylips
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In that link, why is the guy advising to turn the ignition to the on spot before disconnecting the battery?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:10 PM
porkypig
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYING
I first try to get every drop of fuel out by using this siphon method. I get a long enough hose to reach the can on the ground and the put a rag over the filler neck of the tank then, take a air line and put some presure in the tank while using the rag to help seal the presure in and when it stops keep repeating untill it is all gone.You can really presure almost all of it out.Then I start to disconect the lines etc.
Honestly, having worked 26 years at a gasoline storage facility, that sounds like a real setup for a huge fireball. You are injecting oxygen (air) into a hazardous atmosphere (gasoline tank) under pressure. One wrong spark from anywhere and you would definitely get it all out.
In answer to the question of why you need to disconnect the battery with the ignition on, that is in reference to a Softail Convertible with a siren alarm system. That is the only way to disconnect the battery and not have the alarm go bonkers! That's all. The rest, I believe, should apply to any other softail as far as the procedure. I chose attacking the crossover hose from the left side of the bike as there is just more room to get your hands and tools in that area than on the right.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 AM
bmr
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pick up a siphon tube (the kind with a squeeze bulb),a section of fuel line and some hose clamps. All are pretty cheap.

Siphon as much gas as you can out of the tank. Then attach a section of fuel line over the the end of the siphon tube. Cover the motor and floor with some rags. You will usually have to cut off the stock hose clamp from the cross over line the first time you remove the tank.

Have a pair of vise grips or some sort of plug ready. What I try to do is pull the cross over line off with one hand and put my thumb over the end while at the same time putting the siphon tube/fuel line over the metal nipple with my other hand. This should minimize the spillage.

The remaining fuel in the tank can drain out of the siphon tube. Then I can plug or crimp the cross over line. I prefer to plug the line with a small wooden dowel rod cut like a pencil. I'm less likely to scratch anything with a piece of wood. I leave the siphon tube attached while removing the tank to catch any left over gas.

I replaced the cut off hose clamp with a spring type clamp and have had no leakage.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a "T" in my line with a small section of hose and a plug. I pinch the tail section and remove the plug and install a longer section of hose with a connector. Run the hose to my gas can and I am in business with no mess!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:54 PM
BigJoeNY
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely what he said.... cause that's what I do....

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
I would say the best tip is to run that tank as dry as you can. Makes that tank nice and light too. Which makes it alot easier to handle. Plus less gas to spill.