Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil filter stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:30 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Filter

Dam that is a problem these guys gave you good advice I don't know why it happened but if your paranoid now get a k&H filter they have a nut on the end that a socket can grab with no problem I'm mot crazy about the look but you would not have this problem again

Old 12-08-2013, 07:39 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Only time I've EVER had a problem getting a Oil filter off is when I am removing one that Someone beside's me put on.

Clean Ur motor block where the filter goes on, I then oil the new filter rubber gasket and also the motor block where the filter goes... THEN ONLY tighten the new Filter ""1/2'' turn.. STOP...

As nikon said about if U can't remove it by hand then,,, start using K&N filter with the nut on the end...
I really don't know why other filter's don't do that,,, Unless its a patent issue..

I also have made my own tool that will remove a stuck filter,, but I am waiting for my design to be made at a shop to patent it.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by jd8181
ended up drilling 2 small holes in the oil filter cap and then drove to sheet metal screws through the holes in the cap into the filter itself...
Sometimes it's worth resurrecting an old thread...

As a birthday present for my daughter I did an oil change on her Deluxe (she's leaving on a road trip next week). Whoever changed the filter last must have installed it with a wrench and cheater bar -- that sucker just wasn't coming off! The HD oil-filter wrench was just rounding off the filter. I really didn't want to use a screwdriver thru the filter -- had too many problems with that approach once before. I searched here and found the tip about the sheetmetal screws -- that worked perfectly!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 PM
TheOak
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drilling screws was brilliant. Thanks to those who share their knowledge

Old 08-20-2014, 02:48 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The Harley wrench never failed me, but I would like to mention something that others may have missed, make sure you run that engine a bit, when cold this filter is hard to get out.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Well it's only 3/4 turn past seal contact. Do that no problem. If someone tightens it with a filter wrench....well you know what happens.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Ezridr60
Tourer

Received 122 Likes on 47 Posts

had the same thing on this new to me '07 Ultra, no way a cup would work. Bought a strap wrench and some self stick 60 grit sandpaper. Cut strips of sandpaper to fit inside the strap, piece of cake! it was a little tight getting the strap on, voltage regulator was in the way. Just undid it, two bolts, and let it hang by the harness. Not a problem.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:29 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Ive always used and never had an issue with one like thisl

The Indy I use likes one like this

Old 12-05-2014, 06:46 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Resurrecting thus thread again as I was going to start a thread with the exact same title. Took my final ride of the season today on my 97' FXSTC to warm things up before the oil change. Emptied the engine oil, then tried to remove the filter and I swear, it was cemented on. I tried with all my might, to no avail. The Harley cap that fits over the end of the filter rounded off the ribbed edges of the filter(just kept slipping off every time from there). Tried a strap wrench with pieces of rubber over the filter for leverage- no-go. Had no ideas after this, so put the engine oil in and called it a day. A while after, I did a forum search for "oil filter stuck" and found a previous thread(this one) with the same title. I love this forum! Got some great ideas from this thread. As someone recommended, I'm going to drill a couple of holes through the Harley filter cap remover, then through the filter. Great idea! I'll try this in the few days and report back. Although I usually do my own oil changes, Harley did the last one. I have never encountered this before. Thanks again for being here!
Dave

Old 12-05-2014, 08:17 PM
jf11time
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never and I mean, Never drain the oil before you loosen the filter. I used to manage a oil change center awhile back and had to send a few customers to a mechanic because the customer was the idiot that changed his last time and put the filter on too tight.

Quick Reply: oil filter stuck