Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil filter stuck

Old 03-12-2010, 06:37 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil filter stuck

what to do what to do???? i was changing my oil today and when i went to take off the oil filer (03 night train with oil cooler) the oil filter wrench rounded all the edges on the filter (filter must have been on to tight) so i just tried for 20 min to get it off and had no luck. the oil cooler isn't helping any either. what should i do now to get the oil filter off?????

Old 03-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Smug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you get in there with a oil filter strap wrench? Or use a punch and pound it through filter and use the punch like a T-handle.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:44 PM
jma626
Intermediate

If you can see that filter and you tried with the wrench Take a real long screwdriver that will be able to go thru the filter and yet enough for you to turn it off .It will be messy but that's what I had to do to get it off by using the big screwdriver then you will got plenty of force to turn it.Good luck

Old 03-12-2010, 06:46 PM
jma626
Intermediate

make sure you are turning this the right direction COUNTER CLOCK WISE

Old 03-12-2010, 06:46 PM
NewfieRocker
Cruiser

Don't know if you will have to the room to hit the mark with a Sheet metal screw. Try drilling a small pilot hole in your filter wrench (which will not ruin it). Then place the filter wrench on the filter and with a Screw Driver or cordless drill with extended bit screw a half inch sheet metal screw through the pre-drilled pilot hole and into the filter, piercing the steel cover. Attach your ratchet with an extension for better leverage and twist that ***** off!! Let me know how you make out??

Cheers

NewfieRocker

Old 03-12-2010, 06:48 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Smug and jma both have good ideas.I would drill a small hole in the filter and drain most of the oil before I messed with it too much cuz it sounds like you'll be damaging the filter in the process

Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 PM
SaltyHawg
Cruiser

strap wrench should do it. may need to slip something over the handle for xtra leverage. If that doesn't then you'll have to resort to the screwdriver through the filter trick as previously mentioned. If it were me, I might drill a pilot hole with going all the way through. I've never done it but I'd be concerned that trying to punch a screwdriver through would mess something up with the mount.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like someone put it on dry and tightened the crap out of it. Try a strap wrench, they can be a bear to get off if over tightened. One time I had to cut the filter off and chisel the plate off. Good luck

Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm going to replace my strap wrench tomorrow (broke it today installing my drop in lowering kit) so maybe i'll wait till tomorrow and try that first. only problem is that i have an oil cooler on it and there isn't that much room at all.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, this is why strap wrenches are still around...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil filter stuck