Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil filter stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:55 AM
beerguz
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used a strap wrench with a strip of sandpaper to keep it from slipping last time. Worked well.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:59 PM
jd8181
Road Captain

ended up drilling 2 small holes in the oil filter cap and then drove to sheet metal screws through the holes in the cap into the filter itself. worked like a charm and wasn't that messy at all. i tried 1 screw first and it wouldn't hold so i put 2 in across from each other and the filter turned right out.
to all the people who said strap wrench. it woulds great on most softails but if you have an oil cooler (i've got a harley oil cooler) the goes down between the middle of the 2 tubes you don't have any room to get one in there.
so if anyone ever has a stuck oil filter i would use the 2 screws idea. worked great. now only if it wasn't 40 and pouring down rain!!!!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:39 PM
cbr310
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem took me about 4hrs a six pack some thrown tools but got it off. It was almost ripped in half then used a big pair of channel locks. I like the screws idea. Will use that if it ever happens again.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try some water pump plier's. Mine was tight from the factory and the water pump plier's worked fine.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:31 AM
wmashadi
Stage I
Default HD - Sportster 1200XL Oil Filter Stuck

I like your idea. I bought a HD filter wrench, but it slips! Could you give me some further details of how and where to drill in the screws. I tried the strap wrench, and face the same problem where it does not fit well in the limited space. Plus I dented the filter in trying to fit the strap screw.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by jd8181
ended up drilling 2 small holes in the oil filter cap and then drove to sheet metal screws through the holes in the cap into the filter itself. worked like a charm and wasn't that messy at all. i tried 1 screw first and it wouldn't hold so i put 2 in across from each other and the filter turned right out.
to all the people who said strap wrench. it woulds great on most softails but if you have an oil cooler (i've got a harley oil cooler) the goes down between the middle of the 2 tubes you don't have any room to get one in there.
so if anyone ever has a stuck oil filter i would use the 2 screws idea. worked great. now only if it wasn't 40 and pouring down rain!!!!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:23 PM
vholmes58
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by NewfieRocker
Don't know if you will have to the room to hit the mark with a Sheet metal screw. Try drilling a small pilot hole in your filter wrench (which will not ruin it). Then place the filter wrench on the filter and with a Screw Driver or cordless drill with extended bit screw a half inch sheet metal screw through the pre-drilled pilot hole and into the filter, piercing the steel cover. Attach your ratchet with an extension for better leverage and twist that ***** off!! Let me know how you make out??

Cheers

NewfieRocker
Wow wish I had read this before today. Mine was stuck and with the oil cooler on my softail couldnt get strap wrench on it. my end wrench just stripped end of filter ended up using a screwdrive and just ripped when I tried to turn it what a mess. ended up using a screw diriver and a hammer and was able to turn it by using it like a punch on the thick edge of the filter. Ill never let someone else change my oil again. Was really busy last time and was short on time the mechanic was also harley trained.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:47 PM
chiefe
Tourer

Do yourself a favor when you replace the filter, use the K&N wrench off filter.There is a hex nut on the end of the filter and a 17mm wrench or socket is all you need to remove it. No screwing with s***y oil filter wrenches that don't work.
Cheers!
http://www.knfilters.com/wrenchoff_oilfilter.htm

Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 PM
jakazz
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefe
Do yourself a favor when you replace the filter, use the K&N wrench off filter.There is a hex nut on the end of the filter and a 17mm wrench or socket is all you need to remove it. No screwing with s***y oil filter wrenches that don't work.
Cheers!

YUP that what I use, better quality also IMO

Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 PM
HeritageSoftail05
Intermediate
Default New Idea for filter removal

I just finished an oil change and had the same problems as everyone else, even read these when I had to come in for bandaids for skinned fingers. lol

Wanted to try one more thing before I started drilling the filter.

I took a new shop towel, not the cloth, but the paper ones. Brawny makes the ones I use. Much thicker than a paper towel, but ones in the box. Put the towel around the filter, then the filter wrench on top of that so there was more pressure on the filter. Had to use a rubber mallet to drive it on. Used a 1/2 inch to 3/8 reducer so that I could use a bigger ratchet for more leverage. Took a couple of tries, but the filter came off, and did not have to drill or hammer on the filter.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:29 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefe
Cheers!
+1 0n the wrench off filter

Quick Reply: oil filter stuck