Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 04:57 AM
Fatburger
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
There was a thread on it in the Softail section this week, user is claiming good results

Also check out the last few issues of American Iron, they did a very detailed article on oil coolers

I run the HD one and I'm happy with it
How do you tell if it actually is cooling your oil? The temp gauge on your dipstick? Engine not as hot? I heard the Harley one is a waste of money. Also would a JAGG one void your warranty on the engine? Thanks for the info. I'll check AI.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:01 AM
Fatburger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
i saw the thread mentioned, and have seen other threads elsewhere.. people claim that they work very well. I'm considering getting on this winter. I'm glad this game up actually because I need to email UltraCool and verify their "reefer" fits softail models. Their old one did, but the new one is completely different. Point being, I like the look of the UltraCool (and it's $125 less) over the Jagg just because there isn't a big honkin radiator hanging from my downtube
Yeah thats exactly what it looks like lol. A big honkin radiator but I heard it's the best one out there. Gonna check the thread. Ride safe. I haven't ridden since 26 Jun. I'm never taking my bike to HD of Folsom CA again. They must have the freakin inmates down the street workin on it...DAMN!

Old 08-04-2014, 06:43 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old man had the HD cooler on his Night Train (with temp gauge dipstick) and said it didn't work worth a damn. I emailed UltraCool, and their webpage started throwing PHP errors. Without getting too nerdy, i'll just say that if their website isn't capable of processing their own 'contact us' system without a bug, and/or it isn't updated such that their product doesn't fit Softails, then I'm hesitant to give them my business. I'm wondering well how the Jagg Low-Mount 6 fin cooler works. $380 on their site, less on others, but don't find any solid reviews on it.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:28 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Is this thread really going to turn into a tech thread?

Old 08-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Fatburger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BigMike
Anything to do with your lo. It's always been a tech thread dude. Look back through it. We all want optimum performance out of our bikes so...yeah. I appreciate help from more tech savvy folks.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By now, with this thread alone, you should be able to disassemble and reassemble a FLSTFB top to bottom, haha.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Detroit Iron
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike

Tech is the only reason I come here. If it's anything but.... I scroll down scroll down....

Old 08-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatburger
How do you tell if it actually is cooling your oil? The temp gauge on your dipstick? Engine not as hot? I heard the Harley one is a waste of money. Also would a JAGG one void your warranty on the engine? Thanks for the info. I'll check AI.
My oil temp runs 15-20 degrees cooler, if that's a waste of money then I'll waste it all day long. IMO people expect too much from oil coolers, a lot think think they are going to be able to feel the difference in the heat coming off their engine, the heat your feeling is from your cylinders as a byproduct of combustion an oil cooler will do nothing to stop that. An oil cooler will however help keep that heat from breaking down your oil prematurely. I have found oil coolers are second only to tuners as far as misinformation floating around these forums, there are so many just repeating these myths that a lot of folks have come to accept this stuff as facts. There are quite a few out there exaggerating the results to ridiculous extremes that are not even remotely possible. The articles in the last few American Iron issues are good solid tech info and if you're considering an oil cooler then it would be well worth your time to educate yourself as to what makes one cooler better than another and make your choice from there.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody have an Oil bud oil cooler? It's the one that goes completely underneath the bike. I thought about it but just went with a standard HD one since I couldn't swing the 600+ cost of the Oil Bud.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:27 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,719 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
My oil temp runs 15-20 degrees cooler, if that's a waste of money then I'll waste it all day long. IMO people expect too much from oil coolers, a lot think think they are going to be able to feel the difference in the heat coming off their engine, the heat your feeling is from your cylinders as a byproduct of combustion an oil cooler will do nothing to stop that. An oil cooler will however help keep that heat from breaking down your oil prematurely. I have found oil coolers are second only to tuners as far as misinformation floating around these forums, there are so many just repeating these myths that a lot of folks have come to accept this stuff as facts. There are quite a few out there exaggerating the results to ridiculous extremes that are not even remotely possible. The articles in the last few American Iron issues are good solid tech info and if you're considering an oil cooler then it would be well worth your time to educate yourself as to what makes one cooler better than another and make your choice from there.
Are you running the Harley oil cooler?

I'm trying to decide between the Harley, the Jagg, the Ultra Cool Reefer and the Oil Bud. I like the Harley because it SEEMS to be the most unobtrusive of the lot. I don't like the way the others are tucked down so low.

If the harley cooler cools 15-20 degrees, I'd gladly take that here in Florida.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners