Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M MHAS 2008 speaker review after a 300 mile day...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:23 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default J&M MHAS 2008 speaker review after a 300 mile day...

So I took a nice long ride yesterday and have had a chance to listen to the speakers on the road in lots of conditions. I spent several hours on the freeway yesterday which is not my norm and feel I have had a enough time to evaluate them completely now.

First off, if you wear a half helmet WEAR EARPLUGS and you can hear the speakers much better. When you turn on the bike the speakers automatically go to half volume. I then use the I POD to adjust the volume level. I found that on the freeway I turned the I POD all the way up and that was not always loud enough. If not loud enough I would use the button on the speakers to turn it up one or two clicks. This was sufficient for freeway riding, although without a windshield at about 85 it gets a bit more difficult to hear. Needless to say I don't regularly ride 85, and this should keep me going a bit slower.

My MP3's are not all recorded at the same volume so sometimes I would have to adjust volume per the song. I have done the itunes volume leveling thing and I still have this issue.

On the regular road (not the freeway) these speakers are more than loud enough all the time with the speaker volume at half and the ipod at full volume. They are so loud that one of buddies on a bagger heard my music from behind him while we were riding. I guess I like it loud.
As has been pointed out before, there is not a lot of bass out of 2 40W 4" speakers, but i found it sufficient on the bike. I played some hip hop and was singing along in no time. Metallica was insane! The 4 horsemen has me riding a little faster than I usually do.

If you want music on your ride without buying a full fairing or giving in to the bagger fad, I highly recommend these speakers. I am yet to get them wet but they are 100% waterproof as well.

There are other systems out there in many different price ranges. The week before I bought these I had the chance to hear a few of the Cycle Sounds systems and they just did not compare.

I also really like the fact that the amplifiers are built in to the speakers so there is no need to find a place to mount the amp. Mounting is simple too.

I am still on the fence with the looks, but in the end the sound wins out in my book any day. Rocking out all the time is the only way to fly!

Drew

Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Drew got any pics?

Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

I told you you would like them!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PFWiz
I told you you would like them!
You were right.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:14 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

are you selling them? can't find them on your site.....

Old 08-06-2010, 06:16 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

We have them. Call the shop to order. I don't have the price with me here. On a side note I did not wear my earplugs today to compare again. Much better with the earplugs.

Drew