Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail deluxe vs. roadking

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 04:24 PM
wheeler
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default softail deluxe vs. roadking

Hey guys,
Any opinions about the long ride capability of the softail vs. roadking. I love the styling of the softail deluxe and was wondering how it does on longer trips. Let me know. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: softail deluxe vs. roadking

I think for long trips the road king has the better suspension.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:41 PM
MarkDaScot
Advanced

As a general rule, the softails will ride a little harder. There's a reason why the Road King is in the Touring family. :-) That said, ride is a subjective item, imho. I've ridden an Ultra 800 miles in a day before and could have gone further but was getting sleepy, not sore. I've ridden a Heritage for 450 miles straight, and was ready to get off. Now, if you are planning on 800 mile days as the rule rather than the exception, go Road King. If 450 miles is a long trip, the Deluxe would fit the bill.

Other things to consider are passenger, tunes, storage, etc. 2 people on a weekend trip can generate an amazing amount of crap to carry. :-)

Gregor

Old 06-16-2005, 05:53 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts

Road king all the way, better and MORE suspension, just a more comfortable bike all around.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:17 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, that's a hard choice. I love the look of the Deluxe. And I mean love it. The RK has to be a better ride, especially for distance. Good luck with the choice. Try riding both and seeing the difference.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:55 PM
TuxedoCartman
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you should mention that; I just sold a Softail Deluxe to buy a Road King. The Deluxe was a FANTASTIC bike for around town or short trips (350 miles or so...), but any longer than that and I REALLY started to feel it. The Road King, though....so comfy. I can go a thousand miles on it and not get sore at all. Lot more bike for around town, but it's certainly managable. And it cruises so well down the freeway.

Let me put it this way...I LOVED my Deluxe, but I certainly don't regret buying my Road King!

Old 06-17-2005, 07:01 AM
jtfrog
Cruiser

Almost bought a Road King. My but gets sore on my Deluxe after a while.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:50 AM
rgerber
Road Master

Loved the look of my Heritage, but could never go back after switching to an Ultra. Great ride, great comfort!

[IMG]local://upfiles/718/468B1F98613341428DFC6AE67DDEC0DD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-17-2005, 11:34 AM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Well... I was going to stay out of this one, but what the heck! It is strictly what kind of ride do you want. While the RK is great for long trips after driving one on short trips and around town I decided to go with a softail. For looks, it is hard to beat something like Whiplush's Deluxe....

Old 06-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Greywolf
Cruiser

Yes there is something about the Deluxe than just screams BUY ME. It's a known fact the RK is for long trips but I gave up doing over 400 miles in a day cause I like taking it easier and seeing more things, so ballbusting 800 miles in a day just doesn't appeal to me anymore. By the way in 1974 I rode out west traveling 5100 miles in 17 Days the last 3 days in the rain all the way from Denver to Detroit. Best road trip ever and did it on a custom CB 750 Honda 4cyl.

Quick Reply: softail deluxe vs. roadking