Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help for the Tall guys, or anyone that needs to "fit" their bike, with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default A little help for the Tall guys, or anyone that needs to "fit" their bike, with pics.

I recently bought a 2011 FLSTC Heritage Softail Classic. I'm a Tall guy, 6' 4" with a 36" inseam and although I love my Heritage, I didn't have enough room.

First thing I did was replace the Floorboards with Forward Controls. That helped, but not enough.

Next, I thought about adding a Tallboy seat, but their isn't a Tallboy seat in the catalog that said it would fit the Heritage. That didn't make sense to me seeing as how the Tallboy seat would fit a Fat Boy, and the Fat Boy Seat Pan and the Heritage Seat Pan seemed pretty similiar.

None of the parts guys could give me a solid answer as to whether the Tallboy would fit a Heritage or not, so I decided to just order one and see what happened. Other than having to re-size the Grab Strap that came with the seat, it fit great.

This was a huge improvement, but the Brake Pedal still sat a little high and my foot was bent "up" a littler higher than I liked. On the Softails, the Brake Pedal height is "fixed" with no adjustment. If I would have stayed with the Floorboards, I could have bought an aftermarket Pedal from a variety of places that would extend it, or angle it down. But, no one (that I could find) makes a Brake Pedal for Forward Controls that had a different angle than stock.

So, I got to looking at the Brake Pedal for a solution. I ended up grinding out the weld where the Pedal attached to the shaft, rotating the Pedal on the shaft about 1/8" and having it re-welded in its new position. This dropped the Brake Pedal height about an inch and is now at the perfect height for me.

Can't say enough good things about "Don", the guy that did my welding. He rides too, so he understood my wanting to make the controls "right". He even used Stainless Steel welding rod so I can wait a little while to get the Pedal re-plated (so I can keep riding before the weather gets bad here in Northern Illinois).

Sorry to make this so long, but hopefully it will help someone.

The new Tall Boy seat.

The new Brake Pedal height after re-welding

A little discoloration from the heat, but not too bad.

A great Stainless Steel weld from my new buddy "Don" of Don's Welding.

And finally, a pic of my helper, "Bear".

Old 09-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How's the weather up there?
Good job and the pictures should help out those needing more room than the stock bike gives.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kowan
How's the weather up there?
Good job and the pictures should help out those needing more room than the stock bike gives.
Thanks, but you really didn't have to mention the weather did ya

We were planning a long ride today, but the weather isn't cooperating very well. We might go anyway though.

Send us some of that California weather will ya...Please

Old 09-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was born and raised in central Illinois so I know what you mean about the weather.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

I was born and raised in central Illinois so I know what you mean about the weather.
Just got back from a ride up to Monroe Wisconsin Cheese Days Festival. Cold as Hell, but at least the rain held off so I'm not complaining. Overall, a fun ride.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bike looks great... Thought you were going to do something about all thoes little chrome do-dads on your saddle bags?!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Doug45601
Bike looks great... Thought you were going to do something about all thoes little chrome do-dads on your saddle bags?!
Hi Doug, yea, I was going to, but I didn't come up with a solution I was comfortable with. I couldn't find the Studs in Black to replace them and I decided not to paint them.

Decided to follow the advice of "leave them on, they'll grow on you" and see if it worked.

Thing is though, I replaced the seat with a Tallboy so the only place I have Studs anymore is the bags. I love the size and design of the Heritage bags. I wish I could find the same exact bags, only minus the studs.

Wonder who makes Harley's bags?

Old 09-19-2010, 09:56 PM
FREEFALL
Road Master

Gotta love the SoCal weather.

I was born and raised in Peoria. Never going back.

BTW, bike looks great. The do-dads will grow on you, I hardly notice them anymore...

S/F
Freefall

Old 09-20-2010, 02:46 AM
bradyrw625
Novice
Default I have the same problem

I ride a 2006 FXST and I am 6'4". I had to get extended forward controls from Accutronix. It moved the controls 3" further and I replaced the seat with a badlander. It made a huge difference.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FREEFALL
Gotta love the SoCal weather.

I was born and raised in Peoria. Never going back.

BTW, bike looks great. The do-dads will grow on you, I hardly notice them anymore...

S/F
Freefall
Don't blame you about not coming back, the weather is gonna get nasty cold pretty soon. Only time I really spent in California was at Boot Camp in MCRD San Diego and a couple weeks at Camp Pendleton. Can't say I miss the Spiders and Snakes though.

Quick Reply: A little help for the Tall guys, or anyone that needs to "fit" their bike, with pics.