Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raking with neck cups

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:33 AM
mark127
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Raking with neck cups

I own a 2007 FXSTC which has been lowered in the front 1" and rear 1 1/2 and I am now wanting to rake the front end by 3 more degree by using neck cups. I could use any and all input on this subject. I do not wish to effect the handling of my bike or put myself in danger of a front end wobble.
I am sure this bike has a stock rake of 32 degree so I would me going up to 35 degree.
Please share your experience and stories with me to help me make the right choices here.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Abbinc83
Road Master

I had a wide glide and I swapped the stock tree for a +5 degree Accutronix tree and it was a mistake to me, the bike didn't ride the same anymore, I got use to it after a while but at first I was scared to death of the wobble it had. I wouldn't do that again. I have heard that 3 degrees is ok but I'm not sure. I'm looking at changing the tree on my train now but figure I'll stick with the stock rake just because it rides too good to mess with

Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The OP is asking about raked cups, not raked trees... totally different animal. I agree that raked trees can be trouble, unless you are using them to compensate trail for too much head rake.

I have 3° raked cups, and it's a non-issue as far as handling. It's too bad you've already lowered the front though, as the added 3 degrees rake will drop the front end another ½" to ¾".

Last edited by Mr. Lucky; 11-15-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added info
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Thanks for the info. I was contemplating putting a 5 degree pro one triple tree on my train. You just saved me some grief. Story808 has 3 degree raked trees and sliver has 3 degree raked cups on his. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...t-them-up.html

Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Lucky which raked cups did you use and do you have a close up picture of them that you could post?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ash16
I was contemplating putting a 5 degree pro one triple tree on my train. You just saved me some grief. Story808 has 3 degree raked trees and sliver has 3 degree raked cups on his.
Hiya. I'm posting here because it's probably of general interest to this thread. Mark has done a bunch of other stuff to his NT, so I'm sure his bike handles just fine or we'de have heard about it by now lol! I have the 3 degree cup kit made by Vulcan Engineering. I recently did a big change to my front end and was able to divvy up the labor with my local indy to save some $$. We added the raked cups, 1" over tubes, chrome lowers, custom front fender, and black pearl brake hose. I already had the Pro-One turn signal bar that mounts flush to the lower tree. Since the front end had to come off for the cup/rod install, I had my indy do that job (+ paint the front fender), and I did everything else. Since I didn't do the work, I don't have separate pics of the cup kit, but I found this on the company website, and think it's the one that was used:

Ther's more pics of the finished bike in my photo gallery that I just updated last night.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Abbinc83
Road Master

So you can use the Raked cups with your factory tree? Sorry for the confusion I'm not familiar with these

Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member

Yes, the cups are used with stock trees. You just install a longer steering shaft which is included in the kit. I tried the 3 degree cups first, but didn't like the way the extra parts looked around the steering head.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:17 AM
Dingobob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had them on my dyna before I chopped it. They may make steering heavier at low speed but it will improve stability at higher speeds. They drop the front end by a couple inches because the cups spread the trees. Vulcan make a very good product.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

I changed the trees on an FXR i had some years ago,which took the rake out from 29% to 32% without a problem,but anything more than that is best done from the frame so im told,by a guy that did it for a living.

Quick Reply: Raking with neck cups