Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Havanacigar
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harley oil cooler

thinking of installing MOCO's oil cooler...anyone have one? thoughts?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:00 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master

I put the HD oil cooler on...dont know what / how well its really working. I got my bike tuned right around the same time frame so I couldnt really tell...the tuning lowered my engine temp down considerably.
I would save your money on this one and buy my RSD vintage bars with RSD risers ...ha.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:09 PM
LocoPilot750
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Harley cooler on my '07 Heritage. Several things I like about it. It's a Harley product, it keeps the bike more Harley. It fits. It looks like it was built just for this bike. It blends with the style, instead of looking like an aftermarket item that will work on anything, or a custom made part that is completely out of character. It has a 185 deg. thermostat, and has kept my oil tank temps at 200 or less.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,376 Likes on 2,625 Posts

I havent been particularly impressed with mine. I honestly dont think it makes that much of a difference. I've always thought my bike still hot, even after a crappy "tune" the dealership did for my stage 1, thought the cooler would make a difference, but I dont think it has. I put the analogue dipstick gauge on it, and I dont think there's a before/after difference.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Havanacigar
Tourer

Thanks for the replys..riding out to sturgis this year..1800 miles one way so I'm looking for a little extra while i slug away on the highway..and sit in traffic once i get there.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:54 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

From Wichita through Colo. and Wy. to Sturgis and back. Over 100* while there and the bike, even loaded for the trip, (sig pic), had no issues with over-heating.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:52 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

An oil cooler will usually yield about a 10* temp difference on most bikes. I am still waiting for an Ultra Cool for my ride. Whenever it comes out i will get one. It is going to have a built in fan as well as an oil cooler. Also made just for a Harley...

Old 02-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I live in SoCal and in the summer time, once you get out of the LA Basin it can get seriously hot.

I put the Harley Oil Cooler on my bike and used an electronic thermocouple to measure the oil temperature so as to validate the dip stick Thermometer. What a shock the Dip Stick Thermometer was totally accurate. Anyhow, before Oil Coller I regularly saw 250 F+ Oil Temperatures. after Oil Cooler I don't think I've ever seen over 230 F and that was in 112 F Temperatures coming across the Nevada Desert on my way to Sturgis last summer.

If I wanted a cooling fan, I'd simply add a computer cooling fan. They can be had for 12 Volts DC and they are small enough to fit behind the HD Oil Cooler. But so far haven't had the need because we can split lanes in California and so getting stuck in traffic isn't the problem here that it might be somewhere else. Do a Google Shopping search for "12 Volt Computer Cooling Fan" they can be had for less than $5.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 PM
yellowtailfan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a big engine, 113 cu. w/compression valves. It's actually died on me in traffic - live in Texas. Summers on the highways can be hot over 100+. It died while running 70 mph for 3 hours and then coming to a complete grind in traffic. Pulled over, gave it a little time and the bike fired back up. I put on an HD oil cooler after that. I do see a little difference. However, my bike still starts fairly hard when it's august and i've ridden and stopped, they tried to fire it right back up. Your making a good call on looking into one. Especially if you're looking at doing any future engine mods. I'm glad I put mine on.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:58 PM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
and that was in 112 F Temperatures coming across the Nevada Desert on my way to Sturgis last summer.
It must have been "cool" on that day for some reason.

Quick Reply: Harley oil cooler