Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tach and Speedo combo....!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:43 PM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...still wondering why my stock speedometer can run a clock and the ones with a tachometer do not. It's about like having an expensive watch with less features.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 PM
knuckleheadz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TNB
...still wondering why my stock speedometer can run a clock and the ones with a tachometer do not. It's about like having an expensive watch with less features.

TNB, are you talking about the speedo/tach that Phatboy2010 shows in the original post? If yes, that's actually not true. It does have a clock similar to the OE speedo.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:44 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rabbit_
So what makes them so different that they won't fit an 07. Different plug, different wiring? Cuz I"d buy one of those in a heartbeat.
2011 first year for 2.5 v CAN bus on Softail....data is kept on board rather than in speedo itself. That is why its not backward compatible.

I have the old pre-2011 speedo tach combo on my 2010 fatboy too. There are issues...mileage does not go blank when engine off...and you will lose DTE function forever if u swap in a Tmax...no matter what Zippers says. You will have security light issues....I went through 3 speedo tachs from HD...they blame it on heat...BS... MOCO knows there is an electronic issue...but they do not care enough to fix it...like so many other issues HD knows about and won't do anything about.....I would not install the thing knowing what I know now..tach is near useless on vtwin engines anyway...if u must have one ....best to leave your factory speedo and install one of those little digital gadgets....that way your speedo and all functions will work...and work reliably.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:54 PM
TNB
Road Master

If the latest release version does have a clock, I am sold on it since my 2011 catalog makes no mention of a clock for 74774-11 or 74776-11. BTW, the link didn't work when I tried it and when I checked out 70900072, I did see an "h" on one of three Models shown (-72 = MPH/km/h, -70 = MPH, -71 = km/h). If that "h" is for hours as in a clock listing, I am game. Sorry, I'd cut and paste links, but I'm on an iPad and don't know how to do it if I could.

Also, the page I checked out has a photo of the "Black Dial" though it referred to it as the "spun aluminum dial" or at least that is how the catalog has them listed unlike the online page.

It must be an iPad thing since I could access the original link on the home computer. Anyway, here's the link I checked out earlier; however, it shows less models since I used a 2010 Fatboy Lo as the search criteria.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by TNB; 02-21-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 PM
knuckleheadz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cpiad
2011 first year for 2.5 v CAN bus on Softail....data is kept on board rather than in speedo itself. That is why its not backward compatible.

I have the old pre-2011 speedo tach combo on my 2010 fatboy too. There are issues...mileage does not go blank when engine off...and you will lose DTE function forever if u swap in a Tmax...no matter what Zippers says. You will have security light issues....I went through 3 speedo tachs from HD...they blame it on heat...BS... MOCO knows there is an electronic issue...but they do not care enough to fix it...like so many other issues HD knows about and won't do anything about.....I would not install the thing knowing what I know now..tach is near useless on vtwin engines anyway...if u must have one ....best to leave your factory speedo and install one of those little digital gadgets....that way your speedo and all functions will work...and work reliably.
Cpiad you're right about the data being kept on board for MY11 Softails however the rest of your post I'm not so sure about. The new gauge they have is a completely different design that I'm told addresses the issues observed from the previous speedo/tach design and on top of that you don't need to wait for the gauge to have the mileage programmed.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:49 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked a couple months ago.........shocker I'm riding an 07 Fatboy the daul speedo/tach for my year is twice the cost as one for 08 and up.......sucks to be me!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:56 PM
knuckleheadz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TNB
If the latest release version does have a clock, I am sold on it since my 2011 catalog makes no mention of a clock for 74774-11 or 74776-11. BTW, the link didn't work when I tried it and when I checked out 70900072, I did see an "h" on one of three Models shown (-72 = MPH/km/h, -70 = MPH, -71 = km/h). If that "h" is for hours as in a clock listing, I am game. Sorry, I'd cut and paste links, but I'm on an iPad and don't know how to do it if I could.

Also, the page I checked out has a photo of the "Black Dial" though it referred to it as the "spun aluminum dial" or at least that is how the catalog has them listed unlike the online page.

It must be an iPad thing since I could access the original link on the home computer. Anyway, here's the link I checked out earlier; however, it shows less models since I used a 2010 Fatboy Lo as the search criteria.

TNB, -72 is actually the dual dial gauge with both MPH (miles per hour) and km/h (kilometers per hour) scales. You need to have the dual dial if you're travelling over the border to Canada a lot but if you're only in the US you would need the -70. All of the gauges have a clock. They apparently forgot to state that in the catalog.

As far as the spun aluminum, the following link (hopefully it works) shows a pic of the spun aluminum.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by knuckleheadz
TNB, -72 is actually the dual dial gauge with both MPH (miles per hour) and km/h (kilometers per hour) scales. You need to have the dual dial if you're travelling over the border to Canada a lot but if you're only in the US you would need the -70. All of the gauges have a clock. They apparently forgot to state that in the catalog.

As far as the spun aluminum, the following link (hopefully it works) shows a pic of the spun aluminum.
Link worked this time and I am on the iPad! I asked about the clock today at the dealer when I picked up the black LED headlamp. They wouldn't confirm one way or another since they don't have them in stock yet. If it does have a clock, it will make my decision much easier and probably give them at least one more sale. The sad thing today with all the scratch off coupons they gave me for purchasing the headlight, I didn't win the two new bikes they are giving away. However, I did end up with a few dollars in coupons and a HD Cooler and Coolies. Maybe next time.

Edit: I purchased the combo speedo/tach and it does have a clock. Photo uploaded.

Attached Thumbnails New Tach and Speedo combo....!-hd-speedo-040811-003credwmsrgb.jpg  

Last edited by TNB; 04-10-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Phatboy2010
Tourer

Originally Posted by cpiad

Could it be the TMAX that you are running...?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Firemed509
Tourer

I installed my new speedometer (70900070) on my fatboy lo. Got it installed with a new black console in under a hour. I really like the look and can't wait to take it for a test ride. This will not happen for a while due to the weather and trip next week. I was very happy going thru the differnt display modes and there was the clock. It is not mention in the instructions. I have play around with the display color to see what I like.

Attached Thumbnails New Tach and Speedo combo....!-photo-1.jpg   New Tach and Speedo combo....!-photo-2.jpg   New Tach and Speedo combo....!-photo-3.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Tach and Speedo combo....!