Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling at stop lights and such...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:39 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Stalling at stop lights and such...

Okay, my bike has started stalling at stop lights since I changed out my throttle cable. So far I have changed plugs and plug wires (the new uskoollines arrived today) cleaned my IAC (which is my usual response to this problem) and it seemed that no dirt really came out. Battery cables are tight. I just cleaned and reoiled my air filter and am ready to reinstall it and go for another test ride. If this does nothing i will unhook my power commander and see if that might be the cause. Other problems I have thought of are the fact that I have a custom homemade breather on the a/c that might be clogged, maybe I pinched a wire under the tank when reinstalling it after installing the throttle cable, or maybe the IAC is just shot as my bike is a 2002 with 60K on it. Another option is the Crank Position Sensor as well.

The bike starts up fine but seems like it might be idling a little low for the first few seconds.

If you have had this problem, how did you solve it and what was the real problem? Let me know please.

thanks!

Drew

Old 03-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Smug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here Drew, but I don't know what's going on.
07' Train 17,000 mi. with the pcIII, 103", 204's and tuned right. Doesn't do it all the time and seems to act up more if I'm runnin' hard. Come up to a light, rpms drop and she just stalls out. It will act up for a day or two, and then nuttin, she's fine for a couple of months. Been doing this for about 2 yrs. now.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Drew when mine did that it was the TPS. Either it was from riding in the rain or washing it. It was 30.00 out the door. Tore the TPS apart afterwards and sure enough it had water and rust goo in there. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Thanks for that. I rarely wash my bike or ride in the rain but it is worth a try. I jsut got back after the full a/c cleaning and such. Well, I have a clean air filter, but it is still acting up. Mine stalls almsot every time which is what really bothers me. Next is to unhook the pcIII and see what happens, but I think it is realted to my breather msot likely. After teh PCIII check I will reisntall teh a/c without the breather and see what happens. It's rush hour around here and traffic is insane so i will wait until alter tonight or tomorrow.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Wpittman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have experienced the same thing with my stock 08 fatty. Pretty scary considering the traffic i ride in around here.... It comes and goes.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:18 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I forgot one thing. Any chance that the fact i have been running without a speedo could cause this? I know my signals do not cancel by themselves without the speedo, but what else could happen?

Drew

Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Double check to see if that little idle stop screw didn't back itself out. If it did you better start checking your other fasteners you don't want crap to start falling off.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by soft 02
Double check to see if that little idle stop screw didn't back itself out. If it did you better start checking your other fasteners you don't want crap to start falling off.
Where might I find that idle stop screw you are referring to?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Look at the plate that your two throttle cables are attached to on the throttle body. When the throttle closes there is a raised portion that almost hits the air cleaner backing plate. There is supposed to be a very small allen screw that stops that plate. You cannot however adjust the idle there. It is controled by the computer.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Will check it out as I was just replacing the throttle cable and something in that area is the most likely culprit.

Drew

Quick Reply: Stalling at stop lights and such...