Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Won't Start - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Studman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatboy Won't Start - Please help

Ok long story but I will try to give you as much info as possible – Here goes….
Background – I have a 2004 Fatboy with a few mods, changed the exhaust, installed a power commander, had a dyno and map written, chromed a ton of stuff (front and rear ends) install mini apes with chrome switches… all done pretty much in the 1st or 2nd year
Ok back in July of 2010 I leave my house to meetup with a buddy to go riding and 1 block from my house the bike dies, after 2 or 3 attempts she fires up and we are off. Get to buddy’s house , wait around for like ½ an hour and go to leave and the bike won’t start. (buddy is a car mechanic) poke around and find the ignition switch is fried, so we remove and jump it and off we go ( I know, I know). Bike starts and runs fine. Next day go down and order a new switch from Harley dealer and wait for it to come in. A week later get the new switch and install it and all is good. Continue to ride every couple of days with no problems. Then in Oct. we do this big all day ride to Long island ( I live in CT) head over on the ferry, ride all day, like 200 miles and head home. On the way home after getting off the ferry, like 4- 5 miles, on the highway, doing like 70 the bike shuts off, WTF, ok look to move over and try to restart the bike and she fires and we continue home ( yes all while doing like 70). About 5 more miles , get off the highway , head down the road and it shuts off again, this time it won’t re- start, so I figure try and coast as far a possible ( less I got to push) all the while trying to re-start the bike. All of the sudden she fires and we are heading home which is about a ¼ mile away. Finally make it home and get it in the garage. At this point I am disgusted and just throw the cover on it. With the weather changing and not much time to ride I decide to winterize and park it for winter and worry about it in the spring. Hello it’s spring, try to start it and no deal, she won’t start. Gas is good, battery is ok , but I am not getting any spark at the plugs. Checked the wires and they are good. Also checked the fuses ( under the seat ) and tried to start with the power commander removed, Not sure what else to look for and any help would be great.
Thanks
Studman

Old 03-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this bike carbed or fuel injected? Did the engine light come on when it was going dead?

Old 03-12-2011, 03:57 PM
snook592
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

???????

Old 03-12-2011, 04:03 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Did you check the starter relay or maby swap it with another relay. Is there voltage going to the coil.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 3,081 Posts

Breaker popping? Fried ignition switch? Check Voltage output. It's possible regulator isn't regulating and voltage is too high.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Studman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike T
Is this bike carbed or fuel injected? Did the engine light come on when it was going dead?
The bike is FI and I don't remember if the light came on. I do know that when I try and start it now after a few cranks the engine light comes on

Old 03-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Studman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by soft 02
Did you check the starter relay or maby swap it with another relay. Is there voltage going to the coil.
not yet but will do, thanks

Old 03-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Studman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Breaker popping? Fried ignition switch? Check Voltage output. It's possible regulator isn't regulating and voltage is too high.
Breaker?? where would I find this

Old 03-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See if you're getting fire from the coil.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:25 PM
cork44
6th Gear

Mine did the same thing. For me it was the system relay. $5 at HD. Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the ignition. I didn't on mine, and I had no spark. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Fatboy Won't Start - Please help