Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 PM
04Springer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Primary Oil Change Question

2004 Softail Springer...changing oils myself for the first time. Should have started this loooooong ago!!!

My question is...I refilled the primary oil based on what the service manual says. It states to put 26 ounces in and I should see it just at the bottom of the clutch plate. Well,
I have put about 28 ounes in and I do not see it at the plate. Honestly, it looks as if a lot more oil could go in there.

Shoul I go by the ounces or should I go by the visual and keep adding until I see it on the bottom of the plate????

Old 03-17-2011, 07:22 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Springer
2004 Softail Springer...changing oils myself for the first time. Should have started this loooooong ago!!!

My question is...I refilled the primary oil based on what the service manual says. It states to put 26 ounces in and I should see it just at the bottom of the clutch plate. Well,
I have put about 28 ounes in and I do not see it at the plate. Honestly, it looks as if a lot more oil could go in there.

Shoul I go by the ounces or should I go by the visual and keep adding until I see it on the bottom of the plate????
My 2010 FLSTFB calls for 32 oz. No mention of seeing level. Do you have a shop manual to verify?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Robcat
Cruiser

Ran into the exact same thing. My service manual says the same thing and includes picture of what you are talking about. I thought the same thing after putting in the recommended ounces. This may not be the same case for you, but in my case, I had to go back and look at the picture a few times. When looking in the opening, my first thought was that the level was supposed to come up to the bottom of the plate that is easily seen. If you look at the picture in your manual, it is actually below that. You have to really look down in to see the one the manual refers to. I dont think a few extra ounces in there will matter, but you definitely dont want to overfill too much. Hope this helps. Not a very good description, but just pay real close attention to the picture in your service manual and it will make more sense to you.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 PM
04Springer
Advanced

Shop p book states:
Pour 26oz of primary chaincase lubricant in through the clutch inspection cover opening. The primary chaincase lubricant is acceptable when lubricant is visible between clutch and inner wall of chaincase with motorcycle standing upright

Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 PM
04Springer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Robcat
Ran into the exact same thing. My service manual says the same thing and includes picture of what you are talking about. I thought the same thing after putting in the recommended ounces. This may not be the same case for you, but in my case, I had to go back and look at the picture a few times. When looking in the opening, my first thought was that the level was supposed to come up to the bottom of the plate that is easily seen. If you look at the picture in your manual, it is actually below that. You have to really look down in to see the one the manual refers to. I dont think a few extra ounces in there will matter, but you definitely dont want to overfill too much. Hope this helps. Not a very good description, but just pay real close attention to the picture in your service manual and it will make more sense to you.
Yes...the pic looks to be the second or third plate is the fill line

Old 03-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Crossbones
Road Master

i'd follow the service manual directions, they state the amount for a reason. over/underfilling can create issues.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is your bike exactly level when looking in the hole?
Should be barely touching the bottom edge of your clutch spring.

Don't put no more than that 28 you already have in there.
My 04 softail was fussy like that. Didn't shift as smooth when I ran more than that.

The newer bikes have higher capacities.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:23 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Follow the manual.

Mine comes just to the derby opening w/ bike on jiffy stand.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:24 AM
04Springer
Advanced

That is what I did. Ride this morning seemed to be pretty smooth.

I remember my buddy stating that his sporty would have trouble going into neutral when he over filled it once. Is that the most common issue if you have over filled it?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Springer
That is what I did. Ride this morning seemed to be pretty smooth.

I remember my buddy stating that his sporty would have trouble going into neutral when he over filled it once. Is that the most common issue if you have over filled it?
That, and stiffer shifting in general.

Quick Reply: Primary Oil Change Question