Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraping Floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 AM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kzoo
I always worry about how much more lean 'till the crash bars hit!
exactly,, come into a curve too hot,, lean a bit too far,, hit the frame ( or whatever ) too hard ,, you're going down,, someone call 911,, while you're buddies roll thru the same curve with plenty of lean angle to spare

Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCal Dog
exactly,, come into a curve too hot,, lean a bit too far,, hit the frame ( or whatever ) too hard ,, you're going down,, someone call 911
EXACTLY! So those of you that do it because you think its cool, remember that you are about 1 1/2" away from the hospital. I also scrape a lot because I like to ride low, but I have since adjusted my air ride up because of that very reason. So be careful!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Roadrunner451
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been grinding the boards on my Lo on a regular bassis. Startled me at first, kind of use to it now. I did find out the hard way what happens when you lean a Lo to far. I entered a brand new roundabout just down the street from my house. Of course the left board starts scraping and I quickly realised I wasn't going to make it without some more lean. I pushed the left grip a bit more and it leaned right on over into the footboard bracket. When that happened it started losing grip and there was no way I was going to make it around like that. At that point i wasn't sure what to do (I'm a new guy) so I stood the bike up and got on the brakes pretty hard, didn't lock em up though. I almost made it but my front wheel hit the curb at kind of a glancing blow. That was enough to put me and the bike on our right side. fortunately by that time I was going slow enough that the damage was minimal. Lost a bit of hide off my right knee and scraped up the slip ons and passenger peg.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrunner451
Been grinding the boards on my Lo on a regular bassis. Startled me at first, kind of use to it now. I did find out the hard way what happens when you lean a Lo to far. I entered a brand new roundabout just down the street from my house. Of course the left board starts scraping and I quickly realised I wasn't going to make it without some more lean. I pushed the left grip a bit more and it leaned right on over into the footboard bracket. When that happened it started losing grip and there was no way I was going to make it around like that. At that point i wasn't sure what to do (I'm a new guy) so I stood the bike up and got on the brakes pretty hard, didn't lock em up though. I almost made it but my front wheel hit the curb at kind of a glancing blow. That was enough to put me and the bike on our right side. fortunately by that time I was going slow enough that the damage was minimal. Lost a bit of hide off my right knee and scraped up the slip ons and passenger peg.
ouch.. glad you are ok (relatively speaking).

Old 06-02-2011, 12:16 PM
HDUK
Tourer

2 Harley's with floorboards and scraped both bikes my crossbones is lowered as well so scrapes easy still makes my arsehole twitch each time it happens

Old 06-03-2011, 03:35 PM
goldeneye7700
Intermediate

i think itll startle everyone the first time, hopefully you have ur wits about u, roll off the trottle and touch the back brake a bit if u need to slow down. i do it constantly now, sometimes surprised when i dont, got some pretty small chicken strips for a softail imo. i hit a bump in a turn on time and hit the primary case left so road rash there but i never felt the bike get loose. i just think of it as standard wear and tear!

Old 06-03-2011, 03:57 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Only Going Slowly!

Slow speed manuvering done properly will scrape the floorboards almost all the time. IMHO - High speed scraping would be a warning that you are going to fast!
The Ride Like A Pro DVD is an amazing lesson in slow speed manuvering! Nothing like watching a 120 Lb. woman putting a full dresser thru the slow speed paces. You would swear the bike was a 200 Lb. fake! Goes to show - brains not braun!!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 AM
NorCal Dog
Road Master

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Slow speed manuvering done properly will scrape the floorboards almost all the time. IMHO - High speed scraping would be a warning that you are going to fast!
The Ride Like A Pro DVD is an amazing lesson in slow speed manuvering! Nothing like watching a 120 Lb. woman putting a full dresser thru the slow speed paces. You would swear the bike was a 200 Lb. fake! Goes to show - brains not braun!!
would probably call it balance & skill over brains not braun, as i've seen some very good female riders

Old 06-06-2011, 12:43 AM
NorCal Dog
Road Master

finally got fed up with trying to run my fatboy thru the twisties with my buddies & not being able to keep up, so i did something about it

just installed a set of 2 over tubes & a set of longer cowbells, new higher profile tire than i was running, along with the higher profile rear tire that i'm running, & also jacked up the preload on the rear shocks

totally transformed the rideability of the fatty,, have put a few miles on it & it just feels natural now coming into a hard turn that has some bumps in it & not having to slow down & compensate, now i can finally power thru it like everybody else & without hesitation, & the stability out on the slabs is incredible

F*CK that low & slow ****,, no more scraping for me

Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Outfoxt
4th Gear

scrapped my pegs for the first time this last friday. Shook me up pretty bad but I instinctively lifted my foot. Happened again the next day and I didnt jostle in the least. What scares me though is one day hitting a crack or a pothole in a turn and laying the whole bike down :/

Quick Reply: Scraping Floorboards