Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraping Floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
scheng32
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraping Floorboards

Scrapped my footboards for the first time, kind of startled me, but I guess that means I'm getting better with my turns.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

After awhile you will be surprised when they don't.

I look at it as free sharpening.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Funny, I used to scrape them all the time, but haven't had it happen at all lately. Until today... Scared the crap out of me, and I seem to be missing a lot of chrome off my highway pegs. I guess the Mark IVs hit before my boards now, which sucks because the boards you'd never really notice, but the chrome pegs will stand out a little more with the ends and bottoms all scratched. Oh well, just shows you know how to drive. How fast were you going?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:15 PM
2WHEELFEVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine scrape all the time, however just the other day when the wife was with me i scrapped really hard and she freaked out!! it was kinda funny because she doesnt ride much and it was her first timebeing on the bike and scraping

Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Yep, the first time I scraped floorboard, it startled me so bad that I righted the bike in mid-curve and crashed. Doesn't bother me, now. Lesson learned...

Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 PM
scheng32
Cruiser

I wasnt going that fast, 15-20 mph, I was coming out of a turning circle that is on a hill, I have done that turn a bunch of times, and never scraped and kept wondering when it was going to happen, I guess today was the day...

Old 06-01-2011, 08:13 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You mean you activated your lean level indicators.

Love to scrape em. I've lean it so hard anymore that I run them on the ground nearly all the way around the exit ramps on the way to work. Between the bike being a bit lower than stock and my fat a$$ on it and the harley goodies extensions, I'm surprised when they don't scrape.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 PM
djamann
Club Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I scrape mine a lot too, but once I can ride again I don't think I'll be doing as much. A couple weeks ago I was turning a corner and leaned too far and ended up getting into the floorboard bracket that doesn't move and lifted my rear tire off the ground. The jump caused me to put my foot down and the saddlebag promptly clipped it. So now I am hobbling around on crutches with broken ankle and missing out on the good weather we finally got to. It probably save me from dumping the bike, but either way it was a dumb move on my part

Be carefull

Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 PM
FBL2011
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ride a lot of serious twisties where I live and consistently scraping boards on my lo which tells me it is reaching maximum lean angle a lot quicker than my other bikes did. Bought a set of like new standard Fatboy shocks on Ebay which are an inch higher for 125 bucks, that will help and if I still scrape some so be it.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:37 PM
FatBoyVeteran
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better to scrape the boards than the exhaust.

I haven't done it in a while either. Always seems to catch me off guard as it rarely happens in the same places.

Quick Reply: Scraping Floorboards