Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Heritage turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Heritageman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Heritage turn signal problem

Howdy folks, I am new to the forum and need some help please. My front signals will only light when I hold in the turn signal button and not flash. The rear are working fine. Since they are all connected to the same brown (right) or purple (left) wires I don't see what could be causing this problem. All comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your consideration.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

check to see if you have the correct lightbulbs installed .
I think the fronts are on as running lights , then flash when using turn signal. requiring dual element bulbs , the rears are off when running, and only flash when using turn sig.
single element bulbs.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 AM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heybaylor
check to see if you have the correct lightbulbs installed .
I think the fronts are on as running lights , then flash when using turn signal. requiring dual element bulbs , the rears are off when running, and only flash when using turn sig.
single element bulbs.
On my 93 Heritage (lighting package is stock), both the front and rear use 1157 bulbs (running lights and turn signals).

Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

lol, ok , I went out and checked the bilbs on my 91 ..
single in back , dual in front..
took me awhile as I dropped one of the screws in my well kept dirt floor barn....

Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Heritageman
6th Gear
Default turn signal problem

Thanks guy's, I have dual in the front and single in the rear. I do not have the fronts hooked up as running lights. Maybe that's the problem. I don't know what to connect the second black wire from the turn signal too.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Heritageman
Thanks guy's, I have dual in the front and single in the rear. I do not have the fronts hooked up as running lights. Maybe that's the problem. I don't know what to connect the second black wire from the turn signal too.
That's gonna be your problem. First off, my wiring diagram also shows that I have single filament bulbs in the rear so the rears must have been upgraded. Strange that they don't light with the brake also which is how all the upgrades I've seen run.

You'll probably really need to find the wiring diagram to make sense of this. Mine is for a '93, but I'd bet that 95% of it is the same.

Coming out of the front right and left directional lamps are two black wires each. One of the BK wires on the right signal is tagged with brown tape. One of the BK wires on the left signal is tagged with violet tape. These tags are as the wire enters the connectors in the frame under the tank. There's three connectors there. The violet tag wire goes to the front most connector (3B on the diagram) in the slot second from the top on the right half. The brown tag goes to the middle connector (2B on the diagram) in the slot third from the top on the right half. Both these wires enter from the connector on the right side of the bike.

To verify which position on the connector, the wire coming out of the connectors on the left side of the bike are violet and brown respectively. There's also two of these brown or violet wires coming out of the same slot in the connectors. One goes directly to the turn signal cancellation module the other goes to the rear connector (1B on the diagram) on the left side of the bike. This connector is sideways in orientation compared to the other two. The violet is in the slot front most on the top while the brown is next to it on the bottom. Where the violet or brown wire enter connector 1B, there is an additional violet or brown entering the same slot. This wire goes to the rear turn signal and is colored correctly all the way to the last connector where it changes to black again. The right side of connector 1B has a black wire tagged violet or brown which goes directly to the turn signal indicator bulb on the dash.

Now for the other black wire coming out of the directional lamp. This is black all the way to the connector with no tag. The untagged black wire from the left lamp and right lamp both go to connector 3B on the right side of the bike. Right lamp goes to the top slot on the left, left lamp goes to the second slot on the left (directly beneath the right lamp wire). On the connector on the left side of the bike, the wires in two of the top three slots are blue. These are internally tied inside the connector. These blue wires run all over and drive all lights that come on when the lights are turned on such as speedo lights, low/high beam switch, etc.

To summarize, the only brown or violet wires on those three connectors under the tank are for the right and left turn signals respectively. You would tie the high filament which should be black with a brown or violet piece of tape as a tag from the signal lamp into these. All the blues (watch out for Blue/white which is different) are running lights. You would tie the low filament which should be black with no tag into these.

I hope this makes sense. Like I said, it might be easier to the the wiring diagram. You can get this with the HD service manual which you should probably own anyways. I have my bike tore apart right now, so it was easy for me to trace these.

Whew, what a mess

Old 06-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Heritageman
6th Gear
Default Heritage turn signal problem

Thanks a ton 95yj, that is excellent! I do have the manual and wiring diagram but was having trouble seeing the color codes. I'll let you know how I make out.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Heritageman
6th Gear
Default turn signal problem

Okay, I now have all the lights working but the turn signals are not flashing at all. Before I hooked up the running light wires my rear turn signals were working fine. Now they will only come on when I push the TS button and hold it. I think the flashing unit has gone bad because I tried disconnecting the running light wire from the front turn signals and now the rear's still don't work like before. Thoughts?