Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Springer 4.5 Deg Rake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:44 PM
ezrider09
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I'm sure they are all different by a little. Either way I wish I would have seen it sooner. But that frustration is over and I love the kit and new looks

Old 03-17-2014, 09:02 PM
SBTennessee
Stage IV
Default Vulcan Rake kit on 09 Crossbones

I am in the middle of installing the kit on my 09 Crossbones and have so far removed the front end and have found that on the bottom of the fork stem there is an external snap ring installed on the end of the stem. My question is, does the stem press out from the top (threaded end) and if so do I need to remove this snap ring and if not what is the purpose if?

Old 03-18-2014, 05:36 PM
2009FLSTSB
Intermediate

I came across this thread last night and prior to reading everything I really hadn't thought about adding rake to the trees, just by virtue of it being a springer. Thanks for all the tips and reviews on this item. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and do this mod, along with a couple other things I've been planning on doing. @ Scooter, I'm a machinist in the navy, so I may be pming you for some advice! Thanks again everyone.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:58 PM
scooter223
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SBTennessee
I am in the middle of installing the kit on my 09 Crossbones and have so far removed the front end and have found that on the bottom of the fork stem there is an external snap ring installed on the end of the stem. My question is, does the stem press out from the top (threaded end) and if so do I need to remove this snap ring and if not what is the purpose if?
The stem does press out from the top. The snap ring is only there for assembly as a hard stop when pressing the stem in. When I removed the stem from my fork, I made a hammering ram about 4" long by drilling a hole in the end of a 3/4" steel rod in a lathe, just large and deep enough to fit over the threaded part to apply pressure on the shoulder and not the threads. I think it was a 1/2" hole. Then I got a 1 1/2" or 2" iron water pipe about 3' long and placed it under the fork around that snap ring. Get a 10 lb hammer and beat on the rod that is placed over the threads while the pipe is under the fork. Be sure to use a steel plate under the pipe so you don't damage the concrete. When the spindle starts to move, spray some WD40 on it and iit will hammer right out.

JS

Last edited by scooter223; 03-25-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:44 PM
SBTennessee
Stage IV

Thanks for the reply and the tips. I am going to give it a go this evening.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:38 PM
LBH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet it will look great. Keep us posted on how it goes(with pictures)

Old 04-23-2014, 06:29 PM
SBTennessee
Stage IV

Will post pictures as soon as I can. Pressed the stem out with a customers hydraulic press today and I know now that it would have been damn near impossible with a hammer. Going to assemble next weekend. My customer is also powder coating all my covers while I'm working for him this week so a very productive work week for me.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:26 AM
rockerz
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure you post up some pics.

I use a hammer & a torch to get the stem out on mine, worked pretty slick with lots of heat on the stem.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:37 PM
SBTennessee
Stage IV

I just put the springer back on the frame and it make an incredible difference. I won't be able to complete the bike until next weekend and see how it drives but I definitely like the looks of it now.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:46 AM
rockerz
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the 7.5* mine rides great

Quick Reply: Harley Springer 4.5 Deg Rake Kit