Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my Blackline is planning to kill me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 PM
no_barcode
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I think my Blackline is planning to kill me.

The last couple of days my "Electrical System Lamp" has been coming on while I'm switching gears and whatnot.

Tonight I fiddled around and got the trouble code (which means nothing to me since I have no reference) but it was also followed by what appears to be a part number.

After the entering diagnostic mode and cycling through my options all but "8(B)CN" have a "N" by them:
8CN Y

Entering that section I get:
b2166

Hitting the trip button again, I get:
pN 69993-11 (the BCM)

Googling this, I found a recall notice for the Body Control Module:

Make: H-D Model: SOFTAIL
Model Year: 2011
Manufacturer: HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY
Mfr's Report Date: JAN 28, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V037000
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Potential Number of Units Affected: 6,964

Summary:
HARLEY-DAVIDSON IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 SOFTAIL MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM JUNE 7, 2010 THROUGH OCTOBER 8, 2010. THE BODY CONTROL MODULES (BCM) INSTALLED ON THESE MOTORCYCLES (PART NUMBERS 69991-11 AND 69993-11) HAVE A CASE THAT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PROPERLY SEALED DURING PRODUCTION. AN IMPROPER SEAL MAY ALLOW WATER INTRUSION INTO THE BCM WHICH MAY CAUSE ENGINE STALL.

Consequence:
AN ENGINE STALL WHILE IN TRAFFIC CAN RESULT IN A CRASH, WHICH COULD LEAD TO INJURY OR DEATH TO THE RIDER.

Remedy:
HARLEY-DAVIDSON WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE BCM FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 21, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HARLEY-DAVIDSON AT 1-414-343-4056.

Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV

I just bought the f'n thing! Damn it.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Phatboy2010
Tourer

Did you do the 500 mile check up at the dealer yet...? My wifes was updated at that time. Not a big deal its free. FYI.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:16 PM
no_barcode
Advanced

Originally Posted by Phatboy2010
Did you do the 500 mile check up at the dealer yet...? My wifes was updated at that time. Not a big deal its free. FYI.
I just hit 500 today. I guess if it's free I can't complain too much.

I'll call the dealer up tomorrow. From the service manual it looks like it just unplugs and can be swapped out quickly -- but I suppose they'll have to order it.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:17 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure your bike was built after the recall.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:22 PM
no_barcode
Advanced

Originally Posted by poppavein
I'm pretty sure your bike was built after the recall.
Well I'm almost hoping this is the problem, otherwise it'll end up sitting in the shop for 3 weeks while they try to figure out what's wrong with it. *this is based on my past experience with another dealership.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:28 AM
HD Fat Boy Lo
Stage III
Default what was the prognosis?

I have a 2012 fat boy lo and I have the same exact error message and the light comes on when im going through the gears and will shut off randomly...

Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Fat Boy Lo
I have a 2012 fat boy lo and I have the same exact error message and the light comes on when im going through the gears and will shut off randomly...
His original guess was correct. His blackline was in fact trying to kill him.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:16 PM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My Blackline's a 2012, but it'll still try to snuff the rooster.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would just reset the code and see if it comes back. These things happen from time to time.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:04 PM
no_barcode
Advanced

Me and the Blackline have got things worked out for the most part. She's assured me that when the time comes it'll be quick, and fairly painless.

Strangely enough, knowing this is coming has changed my perspective on things in ways I never imagined. I never knew freedom the way I do now - now that I'm reminded I'm probably going to die today, every day, it's a whole new attitude; a new way of seeing things. I have a lot less time for bullshit.

I got a really bad sunburn from riding for 12 hours one day. Half the day and part of the night. Huge blisters all over my nose, cheekbones, forehead, arms. Painful, but still fun. I'd do it all over again. People were telling me I'm going to get cancer but I just told them that this bike will take me from this earth long before I get to the point where I'm unable to ride it.

But I digress: It was just the bulbs. It was just the bulbs in the rear going out while I was riding. Once they went out completely, the red light on the gauge came on and stayed on and then I noticed the problem.

Quick Reply: I think my Blackline is planning to kill me.