Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT tuning info urgently needed. Please comment!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:25 AM
Aussie_Rocker_C
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT tuning info urgently needed. Please comment!!!

Quote below in bold is from another member of this site

Originally Posted by RK09RK
Hook the tuner to the laptop and open the map you have loaded. You can save the map as a new name so you don't overwrite the original map from HD (it's on the disc anyway, but i find it easier to rename the map for easier identification). Anyway, open the map and then expand the VE table front or rear and then select Smarttune and drag it over to a new field on the right. In this field you can open the data fiel you collected. Then hit the button to Generate new VE values. The software inputs what it determined during the ride and highlights the cells accordingly. You can then accept the values. Save the map, and then re-flash it to the ECM. Check Reset adaptive fuel box only, unless you want to collect more data and smarttune again. It takes a few sessions to cycle the bike through all the gears and cells in the map, so keep collecting data. Always press the red VCi button at the end of a ride to save the data onto the VCI. Learned this the hard way and didn't collect an hours worth of riding.... Have fun

My question, i have been working with my screamin eagle race tuner but i am having some problems. I will outline my situation and i hope someone can help. I own a 2009 Rocker c in which i have just installed a 107 c.i. engine with extensive mods (wont list them all as it is not really revevant to this question). My local HD dealer did the engine build for me. When the job was complete we obviously needed to change the MAP to compensate for the changes. I live in Australia and i am using the SERT (orange box) to make changes. Initially we selected a base map that was as close as we could get to my current engine. This was flashed to the ecm. From there we modifed it from 103 to 107 C.I. and changed the injector size to reflect my injectore (5.7 g/s)... Reflashed the ecm again. From there we moved on to the smart tune part of the procedure. This is where I have questions. To do the smart tune I followed these instructions :

- Download current calibration file from VCI
- Save file with appropriate name
- Re-flash ECM with EST and RAF checked
- Put VCI in "record ready" mode (red LED)
- Put VCI in "data collection" mode (flashing LED)
- Ride
- Put VCI back in "record ready" mode (red LED)
- Close program on PC
- Open program on PC
- Load file saved in step 2 above
- Download data from VCI
- Let Smart Tune software analyze data and recommend changes
- Re-flash ECM with ONLY RAF checked
- Save file currently loaded in Smart Tuning program with appropriate name

My question is about checking / unchecking the RAF and EST check boxes. The quote above suggests that i "check" the EST box if i am going to do additional smart tunes. I am very confused about when i should and should not check this box. It appears that i should always chech the RAF box but i am not sure about the EST box. What if i intend to do additional smart tunes. For example, ride, record, download, smart tune, reflash... then day or so later i decide to do another smart tune. in this case should i have checked the EST box ?? When is it not necessary to check the EST box. Sometimes i do a smart tune and reflash the ECM to find it is still not riding quite right so i therefore want to do another smart tune.. Does "unchecking" the EST box when reflashing mean i can now not do another smart tune on the calibration stored in the VCI. Do i always chech the EST until i feel the calibration is perfect then "uncheck" the EST box for the final calabration before the final reflash?? How does this EST check box work... PLEASE HELP as no one seems to be able to tell me what i need to do. What if i flashed the ECM with a smart tune, leaving the EST box unchecked but then later on i decide i am unhappy with the current tune, how do i do another smart tune on the calibration stored in the VCI as it has now been flashed with the EST box unchecked??

Brett

Old 09-12-2011, 02:41 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you put it in EST (Enable Smart Tune mode) data collection mode, it is turning off your AFR table and running only in closed loop using the O2 sensors. This way it can figure out the VE: it knows how much fuel is going through so it tweaks the air numbers to get a 14.6 AFR in every cell.

So, turn off the EST when your want to run on your AFR table.

Every time you make any changes to the map, like the AFR table, do a Save As with a new name. Then you can always go back to a previous state of tune if you don't like the changes you made.