Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable windshield and passing lamp mounting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Detachable windshield and passing lamp mounting issues.

Ok, here is the question I have, I just purchased the passing lamp kit with all the bells and whistles (trim rings, lamps, smoked lens, etc.) and I am getting ready to mount it to my bike. I have a quick detachable windshield and can not for the like of me figure out how to mount both of them at the same time. The instructions state that the mounting sequence is in the window instructions. But I bought the bike with the windshield and do not know how to get the whole thing to work. If I use the bolts that came with the passing lamp kit then the quick assemble would not work. Am I stupid or just lost???

Please help.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Detachable windshield and passing lamp mounting issues.

BTTT

Old 12-05-2006, 11:09 AM
DMSC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about if I snap a pic and post it?

Old 12-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

I geuss I could post some pictures. But all I could psot was the pictures of the parts because you can't mount the dang things. I know people have mounted windshield with these bars before. My father has the same set up he just mickymoused it together and I do not want to us the fugly bolts that came with the light bar because then the spring clips for the detachable windshield will not work.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:33 AM
RandyM1911
Tourer

I installed the passing lamps on my bike but not the windshield so I don't have all the answers, just some suggestions:

First, there are different windshield kits for bikes with passing lamps and bikes without passing lamps. The mounts and hardware are different. You may not have a windshield with the proper hardware and clearances for your passing lamp installation. The best way to check this is to go to (or call & have them fax to you) your local dealer with the part # of your windshield and have him print out the installation instructions for it. He should be able to tell you if the windshield you have was made for use with or without passing lamps. If you have the windshield that's not compatible with the passing lamps, I'm not sure how, or if you can modify it to fit. Hopefully somebody here has done it and can give you a definitive solution. I believe the windshield mounts outboard of the passing lamp bracket and so the mounting bracket on the windshield needs to be wide enough to clear the passing lamp bracket.

Hope this helps a little bit. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

-Randy

Old 12-05-2006, 11:49 AM
DMSC
Road Master

The mounting sequence on my scoot is (starting from the inside) spacer, light bar bracket, detachable w/shield mounts (washer/rubber grommet/washer), bolt.

I can't recall how the w/shield mounts look on a scoot with out the light bar...

Old 12-05-2006, 12:27 PM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member

My roommate has the FLST as well and it came with the windshield. We ordered the lightbar and had the same exact problem...we found out that there was a different bar that went with the FLST windshield only. Well with her being impatient and it being Sunday, we made it work.. We turned the passing lamps in (lens facing each other) and then the windshield went on perfect..After that she turned the lamps back towards the front and tightened. The only downside is that she has to loosen and turn the lamps to remove the windshield...but she never removes it.
Good Luck!
Do you have a part number for your lightbar?

Old 12-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DMSC

The mounting sequence on my scoot is (starting from the inside) spacer, light bar bracket, detachable w/shield mounts (washer/rubber grommet/washer), bolt.

I can't recall how the w/shield mounts look on a scoot with out the light bar...
The top bolts are not the original bolts that comes with the windshield is it? My father had to use a different bolt altogether. It looks like crap. I tried to mount the windshield bolt through the lightbar bracket through the spacer and it is not long enough.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:35 PM
RandyM1911
Tourer

The bolts for the windshield kit for the passing lamp setup are longer than the ones in the kit for the windshield kit for the setup without the passing lamps. You should check the clearance of your windshield mount against the passing lamps to see if it will clear. Longer bolts alone may not be the solution.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:31 PM
DMSC
Road Master

ORIGINAL: cjmilez

My roommate has the FLST as well and it came with the windshield. We ordered the lightbar and had the same exact problem...we found out that there was a different bar that went with the FLST windshield only. Well with her being impatient and it being Sunday, we made it work.. We turned the passing lamps in (lens facing each other) and then the windshield went on perfect..After that she turned the lamps back towards the front and tightened. The only downside is that she has to loosen and turn the lamps to remove the windshield...but she never removes it.
Good Luck!
Do you have a part number for your lightbar?
After looking at the listings on the H-D website, it appears that it's the w/shield that's different not the light bar.

Quick Reply: Detachable windshield and passing lamp mounting issues.