Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrinkle paint to Night Train detachable Sissy bar mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Pudge211
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wrinkle paint to Night Train detachable Sissy bar mounts

I have a 06' Night Train and I picked up a sissy bar in wrinkle black for it. I went to the dealer today only to find out that the detachable mount only comes in chrome. Anyone try to wrinkle paint the chrome stud mounts or should I leave them chrome and not bother? they kind of Scream "Hey Look I am Chrome!!!" on the side of my fender struts. Oh yeah and my strut bolts are black, this could be why they stand out.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:13 PM
MADMIKE666
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the detachable backrest I bought for my 05 night train came with wrinkle black sideplates. just bought the fixed sideplates so the detachable sideplates will be up for sale soon

Old 12-23-2011, 05:18 PM
MADMIKE666
Advanced

and I just did a quick lookup on HD's site for backrests for your year bike and I found both the one piece and the sideplate style in wrinkle black , gloss black, and chrome. sounds to me like your stealer didnt wanna do to much since you can find all the part numbers with a quick search

Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wiped mine with deglosser and brushed satin black rustoleum on over a year ago and haven't re-touched them yet.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's a quick cell phone pic. I have done a lot of bolt heads the same way. Some have been fine for 3 years now. Others I have had to touch up after wrenching.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Pudge211
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Ash, thats what I was looking for. The side plates and Bar are wrinkle paint and it was the studs for the mounting kit I wanted to paint black. I have a rattle can of Harley wrinkle paint That I used to recoat my derby cover and may try to wrinkle coat the studs.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member

Sure thing Pudge. Make sure you go over to the Night Train picture thread and introduce yourself. There are a lot of good guys over there with good ideas to share.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Man In Black
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pudge211
I have a 06' Night Train and I picked up a sissy bar in wrinkle black for it. I went to the dealer today only to find out that the detachable mount only comes in chrome. Anyone try to wrinkle paint the chrome stud mounts or should I leave them chrome and not bother? they kind of Scream "Hey Look I am Chrome!!!" on the side of my fender struts. Oh yeah and my strut bolts are black, this could be why they stand out.
Powder coat them black and you will never have to do them again.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Tony397
6th Gear
Default Detachable side plates don't work.

I have a 2006 Night Train, bought the chrome detachable size plates with a med low sissy bar and installed the mounting hardware on the bike and it hits my stock turn signals. It say on the box, may require turn signal reloaction kit. Has anyone had the same problem? Can't seem to find a relocation kit in the catalog and if there was one, where do they relocate them to??

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Old 06-18-2012, 03:24 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony397
I have a 2006 Night Train, bought the chrome detachable size plates with a med low sissy bar and installed the mounting hardware on the bike and it hits my stock turn signals. It say on the box, may require turn signal reloaction kit. Has anyone had the same problem? Can't seem to find a relocation kit in the catalog and if there was one, where do they relocate them to??

Thanks in advance,

Tony
There is a signal relo kit, don't remember the part number, but the dealer will have it. IIRC, and its been awhile since I ran the stock rear sigs, but it just moves them rearward about an inch. There is either an existing hole there, or one needs to be drilled.

EDIT: It was p/n 53933-03 for mine. Found it in the old paperwork.

Quick Reply: Wrinkle paint to Night Train detachable Sissy bar mounts