Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Explain engine parts to me please :) (for powder coating)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:56 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Explain engine parts to me please :) (for powder coating)

Some of you already know I am sending my engine out to be diamond cut. I've learned a lot from this forum over the past 2 years but am still a layman

So will someone explain the difference betwen cylinders and heads?

The guy who is taking the engine out asked me if I want the heads disassembled. The diamond cutters said they do not have to be, but I would like to know exactly what they are before I answer him.

Also... I am back to considering powder coating the engine before it is diamond cut. I assume for that the heads will have to be disassembled.

So gimme an engine lesson

Old 01-25-2012, 01:54 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the heads very naturally blend into the cylinders. To get the heads PCed I would think you have to take them apart. The best way to explain is to look at where the rocker box covers bolt to the top of what you know as the cylinders. that is actually the head. follow down until you see a little seam running horizontally, that is the bottom of the head. easiest way would be to pull up a good pic of a blackline. The cylinders and heads are different colors on them if I remember correctly. One is gray and one is black. I think it is the head that is gray. Either way, the head is bolted onto the top of the cylinder

EDIT: found a good pic, the head is gray, the cylinder is black

Last edited by brettnbama; 01-25-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Your heads contain valve train components. I would not think they would need to be taken apart to get diamond cut. As far as powder coating, the only reason I could think that maybe they would need to be taken apart is for prepping the outside of the heads. Not sure what exact proccess they use for that, and if it would damage the components. Here is a picture of the cylinder and head with the components inside them. The top part is the head, the bottom is the cylinder.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:33 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

What are you thinking for color scheme on the engine. White cylinders and pink heads?

Old 01-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

They might tell you to take the heads apart if there are any components inside that can't withstand the 400* baking temps..any gaskets and all that..otherwise Brett's right, the top silver part is the head, the black part is the cylinder (really makes you think..your piston only travels the length of the black part in that image...), and of course on top of the heads are the Rocker Box covers

Old 01-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior

If you powder coat the head you will want to powder coat the Jug (cylinder) as well. PC is just like paint, you spray it on and then bake the parts. Then the tips of the fins will be machined (diamond cut) to make a sparkling contrast. PC is much easier to clean than the stock wrinkle paint and is extremely durable.

If the heads are taped and prepped correctly they don't need to be disassembled before PC but if they are being blasted which I suspect they are to remove the black wrinkle paint first then you want them completely disassembled. They will need a thorough cleaning before reassembly. I wouldn't want grit in my valvetrain.

As for the type of jig that is used to diamond cut, are they doing that with the heads assembled to the jug after everything is PC? It is possible to get chips or grit in the head from the machining process so you should ask them what they recommend.

Your cases are going to look dull in comparison, one of the guys here on the forum has gold PC cases, they look great.

What color? Black or Pink?

Last edited by Motown Strag; 01-25-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Brutus01
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about chromed heads or cylinders and then powder coat the opposite side either white or pink? I think this may add even more to your bike then the diamond cutting but I am a newb too and am not sure if this could be done. I just think the chrome would stay with your color scheme and the chrome(?) graphics on the bike.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:57 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Brutus, being new you wouldnt know this but....dont give Peg too many options or her head will explode and no one wants that. Not to change the subject or anything, but Peg, did you ever make a decision on bars? Im getting mine back today with beach bars, I'll post up a lot of pics from all angles and try to get some of me sitting on the bike as well.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Joker_Hal
Road Captain

If you still have questions after reading the explaination on the difference between cylinders and heads take a look at this site. It should help. http://www.howstuffworks.com/search....orcycle+engine

Old 01-25-2012, 06:51 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks guys! OK I understand it now.

I was thinking either white or black for the powder coat - there's enough pink on the bike I think I want to stay away from that with the exception of dyeing the K&N filter pink.

And no I didn't decide on the bars yet... I like the Chubby Baby Apes but am not sure about having it done this winter.

Yes post pics of your beach bars please... I just don't think I could ever get used to them.

Quick Reply: Explain engine parts to me please :) (for powder coating)