Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs Road King (for touring)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:26 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heritage vs Road King (for touring)

I am mentally gearing up for a long trip, id really like to go cross country! From NY to AZ, and back. So right now im going through the usual ... waiting for time, saving money, etc.

Right now I have a 2004 FLSTCI and I know its not the best (or the worst) to tour on.

Just wondering if the bigger frame and seat makes a huge difference on such a trip?

I am asking because that MIGHT be my next bike ... im debating either a Street Glide or a Road King ... I really prefer the look of the RK, but the luxury of the SG is definitely tempting.

Anyhow ... im wondering if i shouldnt worry about speeding up my upgrade and just hit the road on my current bike, or would i regret not doing the trip on my new bike.

if i took the 6000mi trip on both the heritage, and road king ... would i notice a huge difference in comfort, fatigue, anything?

thanks

PS, it is obvious to me the SG would be much more comfy on a long trip, so im not even asking how that compares to my FLSTC hehe

Old 02-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by rsarno
I am mentally gearing up for a long trip, id really like to go cross country! From NY to AZ, and back. So right now im going through the usual ... waiting for time, saving money, etc.

Right now I have a 2004 FLSTCI and I know its not the best (or the worst) to tour on.

Just wondering if the bigger frame and seat makes a huge difference on such a trip?

I am asking because that MIGHT be my next bike ... im debating either a Street Glide or a Road King ... I really prefer the look of the RK, but the luxury of the SG is definitely tempting.

Anyhow ... im wondering if i shouldnt worry about speeding up my upgrade and just hit the road on my current bike, or would i regret not doing the trip on my new bike.

if i took the 6000mi trip on both the heritage, and road king ... would i notice a huge difference in comfort, fatigue, anything?

thanks

PS, it is obvious to me the SG would be much more comfy on a long trip, so im not even asking how that compares to my FLSTC hehe
If you had cruise control you'd notice a huge difference, I would think.

Also, you'd have a bigger gas tank.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 PM
JCloud
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a Heritage and now I have a Road King Classic... the difference is night and day. I caould never go back ! If you have a chance to take that kinda trip take it on whatever you have...
Good luck and have fun !

Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 PM
rocky5
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure....I like my heritage...you sit more "in" the bike than "on" the bike like a road king or ult classic.....street glides do look good though...I really should ride one and see

See now I'm looking again! Thanks.......! Good luck with your ride man...wish I could do a ride like that!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:47 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rocky5
wish I could do a ride like that!
trust me so do i! Its killing me, i REALLY want to do that ride!!!

But i work a lot and have a 3yr old and wife at home. If i did run into the time, it would be selfish of me to jump on a bike and hit the road.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:07 AM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I went from an Electra Gide to a Heritage and I am waaay more comfy on the Heritage for a 600 mile day. Good thing there are choices.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:27 AM
bloomington g
Road Captain

If you are looking at baggers for distance touring, you may want to look at models other than the SG.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:32 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,555 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Originally Posted by bloomington g
If you are looking at baggers for distance touring, you may want to look at models other than the SG.
Very true!

Old 02-05-2012, 06:05 AM
rgjujitsu
Road Master

Rent one for a day and see.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 AM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done two long rides from NY out west on my Deluxe and main comment in both cases is as above, cruise would have been a BIG help. Packing at times was a challenge as I have smallish bags, but between those and the roll pack, everything fit. Both the Heritage and Road King stock bags have that much more room.

Now, not knowing your size/height that could play a factor too. At times my knees (which are not great anyway) cramped up and I can imagine someone who is taller (which is just about anyone) would want more stretch up front as a RK has. I do prefer the sit in feel if the Softail vs. the sit on feel of a RK, but I guess a seat swap could fix that. For me, the RK (probably not an issue for you) is a heavier lift of the stand and more difficult to maneuver back.

On my second trip, we did a National Parks tour (Yellowstone, Zion, Bryce) and two words here...Fuel Injection. One buddy had a Dyna Evo and he was sucking fuel and not riding as happy as us through the mountains. This wasn't a factor on the trip to Sturgis.

All that said, you also want a bike you'll enjoy the rest of the time riding around town, so think of the long term. And in the end, like the others said, if I got the chance again, I'd ride on whatever I had. The best part for me, was just riding however far we wanted on a particular day and waking up in a different part of America each morning.

Last edited by DeLuxeLady; 02-05-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Heritage vs Road King (for touring)