Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided Brake/Clutch/Throttle cables

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:01 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braided Brake/Clutch/Throttle cables

I'm wanting to install braided brake/clutch/throttle cables on my ride. For those who have done this, is it very difficult to do and how long did it take?

Old 12-28-2006, 11:02 PM
hogtie
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Braided Brake/Clutch/Throttle cables

Just did mine last weekend. Its not very difficult. I had to remove one of my exhaust pipes. Have some tranny fluid ready. I used the "one man brake bleeder kit" from Auto Zone to drain the brake line, and a big turkey syringe from the grocery store to bleed the line. The thing I screwed up was I forgot to disconnect the fuel line from the tank before I raised it up. Turns out they break pretty easy and cost about $45 to replace

Over all it took me about 6 hours of working, taking a break now and then, and having a beer or two.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:59 AM
skips69
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Braided Brake/Clutch/Throttle cables

With the shop manual in front of you - piece of cake. You will need a stout set ofsnap ring pliers for the clutch cable. This is also probably the most technical area, but study the manual and try to get in and out putting the parts back together as quick as possible the first time and you'll be fine (read the procedure for the ball and ramp). Raising the tank to get at the idle/throttle cables isdoeable, but much easier taking the tank off (and air cleaner assy). Pretty straight forward for the connections at thethrottle grip - just keep the cables in the correct slots there and at the carb or throttle body. Oh, and be prepared to drop the brass ferrels a few times - keep an eye on where they bounce and roll to, ha, ha. The front brake takes forever to bleed manually, so a one man bleeder as mentioned is very nice (and much quicker). All the adjustments and torque settings are pretty straight forward in the shop manual, not a biggie. All in all, nothing too hard about it. Read every procedure a couple times beforehand and try to ask questions ahead of time ifconfused, might help. Shouldn't take but5-8 hours I guess, start to finish for the first time. It really is a task for the novice though, nothing overwhelming.