Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust starting to form on front spring- crossbones

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Five7Hemi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rust starting to form on front spring- crossbones

So I've got a 2011 Crossbones with about 2000 miles. It's kept mostly inside, but has had its share of nights outside and being caught in rain storms.

I was washing it today, and noticed that a little bit of rust is starting to form at the top of the springer part of the front suspension.

Not sure if this is typical, as it is right where the metal bolt is tightened on the spring. But was hoping someone could give me some advice to take care of it.

This could be completely normal, but if there is something that can be done, I wanna take care of it now before it gets worse.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Rust starting to form on front spring- crossbones-springer-rust.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 PM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Wow dude, I'd take care of that before it eats through the chrome. do you have the compression tool to compress the forks?

chrome polish or 0000 steel wool should take that right off. I was just wondering if there is any under the bridge and nuts

Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a similar issue on mine (2009)

Always thought it had to do with living on an island and lots of salt in the air and the road dust here ... Damn hard on the chrome.

Check the bottom too, where the sit in the washer.

After cleaning the bike, I spray some oil on a paper towel and wipe the springs with it. Seems to help.

Your bike is a 2011, I'd take it to the dealer and see what they have to say about it. They might treat it as a warranty item ...

Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Five7Hemi
So I've got a 2011 Crossbones with about 2000 miles. It's kept mostly inside, but has had its share of nights outside and being caught in rain storms.

I was washing it today, and noticed that a little bit of rust is starting to form at the top of the springer part of the front suspension.

Not sure if this is typical, as it is right where the metal bolt is tightened on the spring. But was hoping someone could give me some advice to take care of it.

This could be completely normal, but if there is something that can be done, I wanna take care of it now before it gets worse.

Thanks.

Read though some of these below to learn how to clean and take care of chrome.

If its a defective part, then U need to talk to Ur dealer...

https://www.google.com/search?source...2167.26j2.28.0.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Madsin2005
Cruiser

Just don't leave it outside anymore bro, condensation causes corrosion no matter what when it comes to metal.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Five7Hemi
Cruiser

It's probably been left outside a total of 15-20 nights and not realyl ridden in rain very often. Gonna try some of these ideas and also talk with the dealer.

Thanks guys

Old 04-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Vikingur
Tourer

If it is just the washer between the spring and the top nut, then you (or dealer) can just replace the washer. Can't tell from the pic if more than that has began to corrode. I blast mine with the shop vac after wash or rain to get most of the water if I can...

Old 04-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

It's totally normal and no matter how much you garage it it's going to happen so long as you ride and expose it to the elements. What I would say about the rust in your pic is that it's on two washers so no the biggest deal. If you let it, it will develop on any of the front spring parts though. I've had rust start to show on my springs themselves.

If there is rust already there and it's light, I buff with Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner and it takes it right off.

An even better solution is to prevent it with two different methods. When you wash your bike, use some sort of blower to try and get all the water off the springs. Once it is nice and dry treat the entire chrome springer assembly with S100 Corrosion Prevention. That stuff is MAGIC. It sprays on in a fine mist and you can use it two ways. If you are putting it on a part that is not seen and you want to keep rust off it then you can spray it and leave it on. It leaves the slightest of haze. If however, you want to use it on your fork springs then you can spray it on. Let it dry a minute and then polish it to a shine. I'm telling you this stuff is amazing! And it stays on so if you get caught in the raid or whatever then you are good to go. I re-apply it every couple of months or so for good measure. I hate it when I see a nice bike and all the bolts on it have a bunch of rust in the center where the tools used on them etch the chrome and then let rust set in. Well with this stuff I hit any chrome hardware after I have had to loosen/tighten it with tools and all my bolts look brand new.

Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner and S100 Corrosion Prevention. GET THEM!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Five7Hemi
Cruiser

Skeez-

I picked up the maguires chrome cleaner today, and when I go to the Harley shop tomorrow to pick up the sissy bar hardware kit (SO I can finally install the bags I got from you!), I'll pick up the s100 stuff too.

Thanks for the advice- and great deal on the bags

Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Five7Hemi
Skeez-

I picked up the maguires chrome cleaner today, and when I go to the Harley shop tomorrow to pick up the sissy bar hardware kit (SO I can finally install the bags I got from you!), I'll pick up the s100 stuff too.

Thanks for the advice- and great deal on the bags
Look for a red can with a blue cap. Big S100 in white letters on the label. They make different products so make sure you are getting the stuff that prevents rust. I love the stuff! I don't usually recommend products to people because you never know other folks' circumstances and something that works for you might not work for them and then they think I'm an idiot. But I can't help but sing the praises of this stuff because I have seen how well it works on my scoot after almost 35k miles. I garage my bike at work and at home but I also don't let any weather conditions keep me from riding. And although I clean my bike regularly, I am not the kind of person who has to wash and polish my bike after every rain shower. As such I love having the peace of mind that this product gives me about keeping rust off my shiny bits. My second favorite thing about it is that it sprays in a really nice, controlled mist. As you apply it, you don't have to worry too much about overspray getting everywhere. I hold a cloth around the areas that I want to treat to help catch any over spray and I can control what get an application and what doesn't. Not that it will hurt anything. It is safe to use on painted surfaces and is good for plastic and rubber. I treat the rubber mounts for my windshield with the stuff to keep them from dry rotting and to make it easier for the shield to slide on and off. I just like to prevent overspray so there is less to polish afterwards.

Glad you liked the bags. I loved them and got lots of use out of them. My wife really liked them too. I only decided to get rid of them because I couldn't see having a use for two pairs of bags. The pair I have now fit the theme of my bike more and do hold a bit more stuff which was important because I stay out of town a couple of nights a week and I ride a lot of two up with my wife so any extra bit of space is always welcome. The bags I have now also have cargo straps on top so even if something doesn't fit in the bag such as a jacket, I can just strap it on top and I'm good to go.

Let me know how the install goes when you get your mounting hardware.

Quick Reply: Rust starting to form on front spring- crossbones