Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convert Evo solid motor mounts to rubber

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:16 AM
cjdock
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert Evo solid motor mounts to rubber

I have a 95 fatboy. As most will know, this is a solid mounted engine to frame bike. Are there kits to convert it to all rubber motor mounts? Has anyone fabricated there own? Would it be bad to just convert the top engine mount to rubber and leave the others as solid?
My goal is to really reduce vibrations at highway speeds.
I have taken other steps already like iso grips and changing the rear wheel drive for less rpm's at highway speeds but feel that if this was a rubber mounted engine, it would ride much nicer at speeds.
Thanks for any feedback!

Old 07-28-2012, 07:29 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Bad idea. Buy a dyna, fxr, or bagger if you need rubber mounts.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 AM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are some custom builders that did this back in the day. Problem is that you must convert the tranny as well since it all moves as one unit. Then your exhaust will have to mount with the motor/tranny unit instead of the frame. It will all have to move. If you only rubber mount one spot you are asking for trouble. Imagine your heads are moving with the rubber mounts but your bottom mounts do not. Your case can then crack. Or your pipes can crack. Or your primary could.

Question though. What part of the vibration bothers you? I mean these things do vibrate but they are not too bad really.

Last edited by 2006FLST; 07-28-2012 at 07:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (09-16-2019)
Old 07-28-2012, 07:41 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i installed fluid balancers (on crank and clutch pack) on my evo. they helped alot with the vibes... my feet stay put now

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (09-16-2019)
Old 07-28-2012, 03:59 PM
cjdock
Novice

Thanks for that info, its very helpful and makes sense. Looks like rubber mounting everything is not to feasible.
I need to get a tach, but at 65 mph, this bike overall just vibrates a lot. The mirrors are barley usable at that speed and gets worse as I go above that. I did have a lose top mount and a bottom bolt missing from one of the mounts underneath and I fixed those and that helped a lot. I do have a 70 tooth gaer on back and my 65 tooth one is on the way. I'm hoping that helps.
This is my first harley and I'm just a little bummed. I went with this bike over a sportster thinking that highway cruising would be really good on it, with it being a bigger bike and bigger engine. My brother bought an 09 sportster and is real happy with high speeds on it. From what I read on these forums, my bike is a decent around town bike but known to be rough on the highway. The bike looks and runs well, I'm just disappointed by the limited use I can get from it.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Mark_H
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are some options to mitigate the vibration, I'm assuming your hands are getting numb at highway speeds. Try a set of grips like Kuryakyn ISO grips or any of lots of vibration dampening grips out there. I run ISO grips on my 97 and it helps. I still get a hand massage but nowhere near as bad as used to I can easily do 400 mile pleasure rides.
Between a good set of grips, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/THROTTLE-MAT...29be89&vxp=mtr that allows you to give your hand (s) a break, a good seat and maybe some floorboards you can make any bike feel a lot more suited to you. That being said, and EVO is an EVO and they do vibrate. Thats why a have a Street Glide also, for the trips that I want to put down 700-900 miles a day.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 PM
cjdock
Novice

Originally Posted by imrotton2
i installed fluid balancers (on crank and clutch pack) on my evo. they helped alot with the vibes... my feet stay put now
I'll have to read up on those. If it helps I'm willing to do it, thanks!

Old 07-28-2012, 04:59 PM
cjdock
Novice

Originally Posted by Mark_H
There are some options to mitigate the vibration, I'm assuming your hands are getting numb at highway speeds. Try a set of grips like Kuryakyn ISO grips or any of lots of vibration dampening grips out there. I run ISO grips on my 97 and it helps. I still get a hand massage but nowhere near as bad as used to I can easily do 400 mile pleasure rides.
Between a good set of grips, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/THROTTLE-MAT...29be89&vxp=mtr that allows you to give your hand (s) a break, a good seat and maybe some floorboards you can make any bike feel a lot more suited to you. That being said, and EVO is an EVO and they do vibrate. Thats why a have a Street Glide also, for the trips that I want to put down 700-900 miles a day.
I do have have the ISO grips and they did help. I have the stock floor boards and they seem good as well as far as isolating my feet from the bike. I installed a cheap cruise control so I can shake out my hand as needed and have the cramp buster as well.
So, numbness is controllable, but it just feels like the bike is over reving at higher speeds. I looked at tachs but I don't know if I have a single spark or dual spark ignition, or something like that, so I'm not sure what to buy.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I guess I've been riding too long. After 29 years on an Ironhead, there isn't a bike made today that can be considered to vibrate too much. I still make 300 mile days on my old Sportster and she's solid mounted with super hard poly bushings in the risers. My Fatboy is a Cadillac compared to her...

The following 2 users liked this post by Tracker56:
back again (03-27-2020), Uncle G. (03-25-2020)
Old 07-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Mark_H
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cjdock
I do have have the ISO grips and they did help. I have the stock floor boards and they seem good as well as far as isolating my feet from the bike. I installed a cheap cruise control so I can shake out my hand as needed and have the cramp buster as well.
So, numbness is controllable, but it just feels like the bike is over reving at higher speeds. I looked at tachs but I don't know if I have a single spark or dual spark ignition, or something like that, so I'm not sure what to buy.
If it is stock it is dual fire.

Quick Reply: Convert Evo solid motor mounts to rubber