Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedo/tach combo "v in er" issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 PM
ORSalesRep
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo/tach combo "v in er" issue

Hi all,

Last summer I successfully installed the HD speedo/tach combo p/n 70900070. I used the data link cable and downloaded the mileage and everything was working fine on my 09 Fatboy with the Zipper's Thundermax Autotuner. Today I was doing some work on the bike and wanted to follow zippers instructions to restore the Distance to Empty feature by following their instructions. Which I have pasted below. Now every time I turn on the run switch and ignition, an error "v in er" appears in the diaplay of the speedometer and it won't go away. Is there a way to clear this error? I have already tried repeating the steps, disconnecting the battery, etc. The error displays with either the Thumdermax connected or the original ECM. Here are the steps I followed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

NOTES: The RUN switch (handlebar / rocker switch) must remain in the ON position for this entire procedure. During this process, you’ll have the opportunity to apply dielectric grease to the 36-pin ECM connector, if not already applied. Use of this conductive grease is highly recommended.
Turn ON both the RUN (rocker) switch and the MAIN KEY switch (ignition switch) to begin.
1. Pull the “MAIN” Maxi fuse.
2. Temporarily disconnect the TMax module from the main harness connector.
3. Connect the Stock ECM.
4. Hold the “trip” button down while re-installing the main fuse.
5. Speedometer should light up and appear as though it is locked up.
6. Release the “trip” button and turn the main key switch “OFF “.
7. Turn the main key switch on then, using the trip button, verify “R LO” is displayed in the odometer window when cycling through the options.
8. Turn ONLY the main key / ignition switch “OFF”.
9. Remove the ECM fuse, re-connect the TMax module and replace the ECM fuse. DO NOT PULL THE MAIN FUSE FOR THIS PROCESS.
10. Turn the main key switch on. If “R LO” does not appear repeat the process.
11. Re-initialize the ECM by cycling the main key switch on 30 seconds / off 30 seconds, 3 times.
12. Range should start working in roughly 50 miles; you will need to use a tank of fuel to normalize reading.