Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:40 PM
1911NT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator problems

Ive been having random electrical problems on my night train. All the online searching I did pointed to my stator being shot. Talked to the dealer they said if you've been able to ride for a few weeks without charging the battery it's not going to be the stator.

I told him how could I check for the burnt oil smell from a bad stator without losing primary oil. He suggested open the derby cover it shouldn't leak... He was wrong I opened the derby cover and lost about a handful of burnt a$$ primary oil which i can still smell on my hands after several washes. Luckily I had rags under it so it didn't end up on the floor.

Now my questions how many hours you think are involved in changing the stator?

And Am I going to damage more components riding it 15 miles to my Indy shop missing a little oil and the bad stator?

Stupid question, How would I add oil to the primary? Everything i read says open the inspection cover. My bike doesn't have one the only opening is the derby?

Old 08-11-2012, 11:48 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by 1911NT
Ive been having random electrical problems on my night train. All the online searching I did pointed to my stator being shot. Talked to the dealer they said if you've been able to ride for a few weeks without charging the battery it's not going to be the stator.

I told him how could I check for the burnt oil smell from a bad stator without losing primary oil. He suggested open the derby cover it shouldn't leak... He was wrong I opened the derby cover and lost about a handful of burnt a$$ primary oil which i can still smell on my hands after several washes. Luckily I had rags under it so it didn't end up on the floor.

Now my questions how many hours you think are involved in changing the stator?

And Am I going to damage more components riding it 15 miles to my Indy shop missing a little oil and the bad stator?

Stupid question, How would I add oil to the primary? Everything i read says open the inspection cover. My bike doesn't have one the only opening is the derby?
You add oil through the derby cover. Cant garrenty if it will hurt the bike if you ride with a burnt stator. All you have to do to replace the stator is pull the clutch and compensator and many of us have done it. Maybe and hour to tear down.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:36 AM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

did you have your bike sitting up straight or on the jiffy stand when you popped the cover off? if it was on the jiffy stand you'd lose some oil for sure. I drove a week or so before figuring out my stator was burnt out. I ended up having to replace the regulator, but not sure if the few extra miles on the bad stator caused it, or if the regulator went at the same time. I know they often end up having to be replaced together, so keep that in mind. As far as adding oil, stand the bike up straight, pull the derby cover off, add oil to about a half inch below the opening. That should get you to the dealer...

Old 08-12-2012, 01:48 PM
1911NT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
did you have your bike sitting up straight or on the jiffy stand when you popped the cover off? if it was on the jiffy stand you'd lose some oil for sure. I drove a week or so before figuring out my stator was burnt out. I ended up having to replace the regulator, but not sure if the few extra miles on the bad stator caused it, or if the regulator went at the same time. I know they often end up having to be replaced together, so keep that in mind. As far as adding oil, stand the bike up straight, pull the derby cover off, add oil to about a half inch below the opening. That should get you to the dealer...
It was on the stand. I already changed the volt reg a couple weeks ago thinking i could get away with an easy fix. Hopefully I didn't kill the new regulator. I don't have a lift or the space to try to do it myself these days. I'll prob add some oil cross my fingers and ride it to the shop.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:35 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by 1911NT
It was on the stand. I already changed the volt reg a couple weeks ago thinking i could get away with an easy fix. Hopefully I didn't kill the new regulator. I don't have a lift or the space to try to do it myself these days. I'll prob add some oil cross my fingers and ride it to the shop.
Well I aint got a lift or a jack. Just a piece of exposed concrete with no cover. All you need is a small tarp or carpet scrap to roll the bike on and tear into it. You might have damaged the reg. For future reference testing a stator is easy. Good luck and if you have a question just ask. If you dont think your up to changing it yourself then take it to the indy.