Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16" Wild1 Chubby apes on 2001 Fatboy- go black or chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:24 PM
chi45cken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 16" Wild1 Chubby apes on 2001 Fatboy- go black or chrome?

Here's my 2001 Fatboy (see pic below). Yesterday I picked up a set of chrome 16" Wild1 Chubby apes 1 1/4. Great price, but the chrome isn't ideal - it would need some polishing from what I can see - maybe even more....(will post pics later). So I am wondering if perhaps I should get them powder coated gloss black????! I like the contrast of chrome and black, which is ultimately what I'm going for with this bike. My street Bob looked great with the black bars IMO, but not sure in this situation.... Any advise would be appreciated. Better yet some pics if anybody had done it already. I wanted to get the Burly cable kit as well...

Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you planning on blacking anything else on the bike out? What do you prefer? I think black will look good with the right amount of other accessories that are black but it is difficult to say what is right for you. I have a fatboy in the same colors and have lots and lots of chrome on it. The only things that are black are the tank, fenders, and a few various smaller items.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:12 PM
chi45cken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the thing - I'm not sure. For now it would probably stay as is for the most part. Except for a black AC cover I'm thinking of rather immediately... I am hoping to get black rim/chrome spoke at some point and perhaps black out the lower legs or get chrome ones... Ahh decisions decisions. I am definitely getting black cables as I am on a tight budget here.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's my take. If I were going to be blacking out the forks, tins, etc I would get black bars. Otherwise I would keep them chrome.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Suntower
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hogpro
Here's my take. If I were going to be blacking out the forks, tins, etc I would get black bars. Otherwise I would keep them chrome.
+1 on that. Only if the front end/headlight/etc was all going to be black.

Cheers to chrome/black spokes also! Ha ha!

Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 PM
slvdout
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I like the way black bars look.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:05 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Chrome.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:47 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chi45cken
I am hoping to get black rim/chrome spoke at some point and perhaps black out the lower legs or get chrome ones... Ahh decisions decisions. I am definitely getting black cables as I am on a tight budget here.
IMO, you can pull it off either way. I have Black bars on my Chrome Springer and I think it looks great. It's not a matter of right & wrong, either would look great, it just comes down to preference. I personally like the ideas above regarding Black Lowers & Rims. That would look smoken with Black Bars.

BTW, If the Chrome on the bars is currently scuffed, I think you will have very limited success with polishing them out.

Nice ride either way!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:16 AM
ssrgeoff
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the chrome is boo-boo and your doing blk cables I would powder the bars blk as well and mix more blk/chrome with the front down the road.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 AM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like you have more chrome on your bike than black. I would say go with chrome unless you black out the entire frontend. Oh ya get rid of those damn reflectors!

Stone

Quick Reply: 16" Wild1 Chubby apes on 2001 Fatboy- go black or chrome?