Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Guard Chaps Softail deuce

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 AM
sparerib
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Guard Chaps Softail deuce

Hello all. i saw a set of "engine guard chaps" on the www.Chilhowee.net website. they fit over your crash bars. Are they any good for air flow?,, do they direct the air directly onto the motor? ,,,or would they restrict the airflow?,,,can someone advise on this?
cheers from a sunny south africa
shaun

Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 AM
loosnut
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default guard chaps

They do restrict airflow as that's what they're designed to do. I use mine in cooler weather to keep some of the cool breeze off me and also keeps some of the rain off as well. I think they're a great product and I use them a good share of the time. They don't seem to cause overheating but might in extremely hot (90 deg. +)

Old 09-15-2012, 11:00 AM
PosterPerfectPhoto
Tourer

I made a set of these a couple of months ago for my bike using Sea Mark waterproof marine fabric. Haven't been in the rain with them yet to see how they do for it but they do help a little in the cooler air in the morning. I've only had them on the last week or so though and haven't noticed any substantial change in the running temp however I would/did avoid using them during the warmer weather. I plan to change the design a little before I make the next set to make them faster to put on and take off. (I have more straps and buckles than are necessary on this set)

Attached Thumbnails Engine Guard Chaps Softail deuce-img_5718.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 12:20 PM
sparerib
Advanced

thanx guys- well we have HOT weather down here in africa-average 25 -35 deg cel, winters can be a tad cold -3 deg cel to about an average of 15 deg cel daytime....i think il make mine out of some Buffalo or Elephant hide--they seem simple enough to make, anyone interested in some from other hide instead of Cow Hide???? ill be happy to oblidge-shaun

Old 09-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sparerib
Hello all. i saw a set of "engine guard chaps" on the www.Chilhowee.net website. they fit over your crash bars. Are they any good for air flow?,, do they direct the air directly onto the motor? ,,,or would they restrict the airflow?,,,can someone advise on this?
cheers from a sunny south africa
shaun

I've delt with Chilhowee for YEARS, nice guy and has done well because he makes a great product...and yes, these work in the wet or cold, but do cause heat issues in the summer, for the rider and the bike. If it's going to be above 90, I take them off...

Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM
leadermc
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, the Desert Dawgs lowers have NO heat restriction, can be used as warm as you'd like without affecting the bike. Because they are designed to let some of the air into the engine. Also the material is different on the Dawgs - soft inner layer, waterproof outer layer. Check 'em out here: http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/harl...n-rain-guards/

Old 09-18-2012, 07:56 PM
dilbert
Intermediate

So do they work with the hd Air deflectors or lowers

Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 987 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by leadermc
FYI, the Desert Dawgs lowers have NO heat restriction, can be used as warm as you'd like without affecting the bike. Because they are designed to let some of the air into the engine. Also the material is different on the Dawgs - soft inner layer, waterproof outer layer. Check 'em out here: http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/harl...n-rain-guards/

Thanks!! just ordered just what I was looking for. 10% off too.
Again thanks for the link!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:35 PM
leadermc
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coolio!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 987 Posts

Got 'em. Fit perfect, just in time for a cooler morning ride.

Quick Reply: Engine Guard Chaps Softail deuce