Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

internal wiring handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:08 PM
tomoad
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default internal wiring handlebars

i got a 08 softail, & im changing the handlebars & running the wires internally. got the connector unpluged & im trying to get the 6 wires out of the connector so i can run the wires thru the handlebars. on the inside of the connector on top of each pin there is a hole I thought i could stick a threading needle in each hole & get the wires out of the connector one at a time. but this doesn't seem to be working. Is this the right place to unhook these wires from the connector? can someone chime in and let me know of how to get these wires out of the connector. I do not want to cut the wires & splice but if I have too I will...

Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 PM
tomoad
Advanced

guess its better for me to say I'm triyng to de-pin the connector

Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

I've used a flattened paper clip or a big safety pin. They do make an extractor tool that I need to go buy.

Here's a video clip. It takes patience......

Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you talking about the Molex connector or whatever they call it. I did this on two 08 softails last year. Did you pull the insert out a bit with a pair of needlenose before you used the sewing needle. I used a paperclip myself. I think I may have filed it down a bit. Some of them come out easy, some not so easy. Don't know why.

In this video, Vic (Hdforummember) pulls the insert all the way out. I did this accidentally on one of mine but it's not required. You only need to pull it out a bit. Maybe an 1/8" or so. Then, as I recall, you use the paperclip or sewing needle:

If we're not talking about the same connector, please disregard.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 03-03-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 PM
tomoad
Advanced

thank you jimmers1817 that's it. I got them de-pinned, now I'm trying to get them thru the bars, man how aggravating......I didnt think it would be this much work. hopefully IF/WHEN i get this done it will pay off........

Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Use a shop vac to suck a small string through the bar. Tie a piece of sponge to the string. Seal off the opposite side if the bar so suction only through one side. Then tie, tape your wire and use some dish soap to pull through.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:55 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tomoad
thank you jimmers1817 that's it. I got them de-pinned, now I'm trying to get them thru the bars, man how aggravating......I didnt think it would be this much work. hopefully IF/WHEN i get this done it will pay off........
I'm glad it helped. Even with the service manual I would've been lost w/o the internet . Did my wife's Deluxe first, then my Heritage. Wild1 518s on both so fishing the wire wasn't that hard. Happy with the way things turned out but I'm not looking forward to doing another one. I don't know what model softail you have but if you run into any wire routing issues or forget how something went together let me know. I took alot of pictures so I wouldn't forget myself .

Old 03-04-2013, 07:14 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Internally wiring handlebars is a tedious task. I only have two recommendations. First, make a detailed and accurate diagram of the wiring connections. Secondly, have patience and take your time.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:22 PM
_aaron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a fan/lamp chain. It just fell through the bars, shocked at how simple it was. About a dollar for the chain.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Some great tips in this thread.

Quick Reply: internal wiring handlebars