Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost regret getting my 2009 Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Espguitars
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost regret getting my 2009 Fatboy

So here is my story. I bought my fatboy in 2010 pre-owned.When purchased it only had 1200 miles on it. Off the bat I had to replace therear tire as it appeared the former owner burned it out. Then I had it for 1year. On year two the engine case split and the whole engine had to be torn outre machined and gasketed, that was over a $1200.00 repair.

Now in spring 2013 I bring it in to have my new Lepera seatinstalled and the spring tune-up/oil change done only to have Hal’s HarleyDavidson (New Berlin Wisconsin) tell me that my new tire in the rear needed tobe replaced ALREADY! My Fatboy only has 6700 or so miles on it. So after theyproved to me I really did need the tire I paid for the tires replacement andthe rest which came out to $800.00.

Now today 4/9/13 they call and tell me now I need to replacethe front and rear wheel bearings, the front tire as its cupped and front andrear brakes and the throttle cable as it is cracked. This is now an additional $800.00on top of everything thing else! WTF I really feel either I ended up with theworst piece of **** lemon Harley or Hal’s Harley is ****ing me over. Has anyoneheard of all this on such a new bike one with only 6700 miles on it one thathas and only been serviced by true Harley Davidson shops. I’m sick to mystomach, I understand wear and tear happens but my bike is new I mean for themost part and I don’t beat the **** out of it what so ever. I’m losing TONS of respectfor Harley and my local dealer. This hobby shouldn’t be costing me this kind ofcoin. My brother in law has a 1995 Virago with 19,000 miles and his wheelbearings are still fine? I don’t ****ing get it! Any suggestions will beGREATLY appreciated!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Espguitars
Intermediate

bump please

Old 04-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Did you buy it from a dealer or from an owner? Buying used is always a risk but it is a much higher risk when you buy from an owner.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

2008 Heritage, almost 20k on original tires. No mechanical problems so far. Do you have full coverage. Maybe park that thing in the hood and pray someone will steal it.

Oops. Forgot. I had the rear tire changed at about 13k. Front still going strong.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 04-09-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Espguitars
Intermediate
Default Bought it from a bank that repo it

Bought it from a bank that repo it

Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Espguitars
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
2008 Heritage, almost 20k on original tires. No mechanical problems so far. Do you have full coverage. Maybe park that thing in the hood and pray someone will steal it.

sounds like a GREAT idea!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 PM
sp9997
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems like a run of bad luck (or bad judgement) on your part. One thing I have learned is do not go after looks. When you bought it second hand you either a) know a lot about motors to see the signs of abuse or b) ask the owner to bring the bike to dealer or Indy pay out of your pocket to have an expert look it over for you.

There is just too much that you cannot see with your naked eyes especially if you are already drooling and the chrome bling is calling you out to "Buy Me".

But for now I think you need to get over to a reputed Indy instead of dealer, have a full checkup and see what else you might need.. At least you would know what is the depth of the hole you are getting into ... either way you would have some answer. Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel for you. Good Luck seems you need it.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM
2012SuperGlider
Road Captain

Are you sure it hadn't been wrecked before you bought it? I'd be wondering about a bent frame. I'm no pro but just wondering. Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. Too bad you don't have an extended warranty.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:41 PM
jrpub2002
Intermediate

Without too much detail as your case is complex with issues. It is possible you were sold inferior tires. I got over 10,000 to 12,000 miles on my Fat Boy tires. Put on a set of Michelin Commander II tires and you will be very, very, happy. You save money too on initial cost. Buy them on the Internet to get deep discounts. Keep your primary chain and rear drive belt adjusted to spec or your tires will wear out fast from drive train scuffing from the slack at each shift... it burns a tiny patch of rubber on the road. This advice will at least help with your tire wear.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you took it in to have your seat put on, they might be putting you over the coals

Trade it in and get a fresh start, something's just have bad luck. I had a car that got hit 3 times while parked, finally just traded it in.

Quick Reply: Almost regret getting my 2009 Fatboy