Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine break in

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Mikey8717
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Engine break in

I am getting my bike back Friday from T-man with the new 98" CI, ported heads, cams, cam plate, and oil pump. what would be the best way to break it in. just to get some advise on what some of you guys have done. I know that some you guys out there have a similar engine let me know what you guys did for the break in on similar builds.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Milty
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a lot of debate on the topic but I put mine on the dyno to break it in. You should talk to Tman I'm sure he wouldn't steer you wrong.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I agree with Milty, but since you asked: Fill with dino oil. I was told start and idle for 30 seconds, cool down completely, repeat in 30 sec increases until you've reached a total of 3 minutes. Ride normally without lugging or going above 3500 rpm for 100 miles. Change oil. Ride normally til 1000 miles without lugging or beating on it. Change oil.
I haven't reached 1000 miles yet when I plan to go back to full synthetic oil. These instructions from Scott at Hillside Cycles. I also need to get a dyno tune.
Hope you enjoy your build as much as I do mine, so far!!

Last edited by QC; 04-10-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Mikey8717
Cruiser
Default Good article

Originally Posted by Milty
There is a lot of debate on the topic but I put mine on the dyno to break it in. You should talk to Tman I'm sure he wouldn't steer you wrong.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Checked the article out and it had some good points. I would have to say I agree with it. I like the point it makes about how the rings should seal better and wear into the cylinder better if get on it (not all the way) a good bit, than let the engine self brake on the road for the first 500. Not to beat it up just ride it kinda hard but not all out. Short but decent Ranges of 65 or lower going through the gears (not max rpm but around i would say 2000 to 4000 but no greater than 4700)and engine self braking it back down to a lower rpm then back up. No oil changing until 1000 than again at 1500 you can go back to synthetic. this is also if you do initial break-in on a dyno. This is just what I got from the article. Going to run it by t-man and see what he says. But I really think that it's a good way to break it in. With my first bike I just kinda did what it said "I got on it hard and let it just bring itself down in rpm".then back up to the top. the bike ran great and Never had a problem with it. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Mikey8717
Cruiser
Default Dino oil hahahaha

Originally Posted by QC
I agree with Milty, but since you asked: Fill with dino oil. I was told start and idle for 30 seconds, cool down completely, repeat in 30 sec increases until you've reached a total of 3 minutes. Ride normally without lugging or going above 3500 rpm for 100 miles. Change oil. Ride normally til 1000 miles without lugging or beating on it. Change oil.
I haven't reached 1000 miles yet when I plan to go back to full synthetic oil. These instructions from Scott at Hillside Cycles. I also need to get a dyno tune.
Hope you enjoy your build as much as I do mine, so far!!
Yep Dino for the first 1500 for sure then going back to my synthetic. Breaking it in on the dyno as well. I can't wait to get it back cause the weather has been so damn nice. How has she been riding since you completed the build?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 PM
elizer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive had a lot of cars.... this is my first bike... but i never follow break in instructions. I know everyone want to seat the seals, but still.. I donno i dont know the science behind it, but i just dont do it. It should workk the same way from showroom to floor. Only thing is the shaved metal.

So i can't jump in with experience. i got my bike and rode my bike hard beyond what the Hd instructions say. Just kind of feel its better to get the bike go through its motions. If components break then ok... but breaking in a motor is not gonna teach it to react and work how you want it to work.

Last edited by elizer; 04-10-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Mikey8717
Cruiser
Default Hear ya

Originally Posted by elizer
Ive had a lot of cars.... this is my first bike... but i never follow break in instructions. I know everyone want to seat the seals, but still.. I donno i dont know the science behind it, but i just dont do it. It should workk the same way from showroom to floor. Only thing is the shaved mettle.

So i can't jump in with experience. i got my bike and rode my bike hard beyond what the Hd instructions say. Just kind of feel its better to get the bike go through its motions. If components break then ok... but breaking in a motor is not gonna teach it to react and work how you want it to work.
I agree just have to ride it. Honestly going to put some city miles on it and some high way nothing extreme

Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey8717
Yep Dino for the first 1500 for sure then going back to my synthetic. Breaking it in on the dyno as well. I can't wait to get it back cause the weather has been so damn nice. How has she been riding since you completed the build?
It's been awesome. Like owning a totally different bike. Easy power through the rpms. Gets up to speed right now and stays there without drama. The motor seemed busy at higher speeds before, if that makes sense, and now is perfectly comfortable. Have to pay attention to my speedo again til I get used to it. The break-in you described is pretty much how I've been doing it. Up and down the tach with a couple blasts up to around 4000 rpm. Not staying at a constant speed. What a hoot! Freaking weather here keeps getting in the way of a good time, though.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:49 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

I'd just do what the builder say's to do. For sure if he is giving U a warranty on the job.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:23 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I was told this long ago. Break a bike in how you would normally ride it. If you normally cruise, then cruise for the break in period. If you run the snot out of it then break it in by running the snot out of it. People say you can't do that to a new motor. Nascar builders don't throw a new engine in it then putt around the track for a few hundred miles. They put in a new engine and run the dog snot out of it.

Quick Reply: Engine break in