Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went Down for the First Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Skalded Dog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went Down for the First Time

Yesterday I was on the bike following my wife doing about 45-50 when someone cut her off and caused us to all have to lay on the brakes. Needless to say I screwed up and made a rooky move and pulled that front brake a tad to hard. Tried to correct but it slid out. Had my skid lid on and as I was going down the adrenaline kicked in and I realized I was about to slam my face into the curb. I tucked my chin and my helmet caught the curb, and pulled my head back causing my face to slide accross the curb and pavement as I rolled about seven times. Road rash on my face, left shoulder, left elbow, left forearm, right elbow. My left thigh is stiff and my left knee is swollen and stiff. I'm good though guys and gals! Now to the most important part.... The bike.... It's fine lol. Needs new handlebars, riser, clutch, clutch housing, and that circular plate that bolts on to the primary cover. NO DAMAGE TO THE PAINT!!! I'm sore but in ok! God was looking out for me yesterday!

Old 04-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Suntower
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're basically okay.

Sucks that tuition for the school of "Don't Grab the Front Brake" was the skin on your face... but at least you learned and it wasn't any worse.

And now... since you got all that stuff to fix on your bike... BRING ON THE MODS!!

Old 04-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

I went down with an open face 3/4 helmet and MX goggles on last October. The helmet probably saved my life, and if I was wearing sunglasses instead of goggles I'd probably be looking at serious eye damage, but all told I only walked away with just some bruises, a busted rib and some pretty rough cuts to my face and the inside of my mouth. My bike was written off, so I'm glad to see you didn't do too bad in the damage department.

I don't think I'll be riding with an open face helmet or half helmet any time soon, and I can't believe there are people out there who ride without a helmet at all. Not trying to revive the helmet/no helmet laws debate, just my observation.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

I should say that I will wear an open face helmet with a full solid visor. I have an HJC IS-33 that I have worn since. I know the visor's not as impact resistant as a full face helmet is, but some is better than none.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:43 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Glad you made it okay with minor injuries.

So what did the cager say, when they saw what they had done? I KNOW they turned around to make sure everyone was okay...didn't they?

Old 04-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Bloozmann
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Vic Bronco
I went down with an open face 3/4 helmet and MX goggles on last October. The helmet probably saved my life, and if I was wearing sunglasses instead of goggles I'd probably be looking at serious eye damage, but all told I only walked away with just some bruises, a busted rib and some pretty rough cuts to my face and the inside of my mouth. My bike was written off, so I'm glad to see you didn't do too bad in the damage department.

I don't think I'll be riding with an open face helmet or half helmet any time soon, and I can't believe there are people out there who ride without a helmet at all. Not trying to revive the helmet/no helmet laws debate, just my observation.
I rode without a helmet for 40 years in Illinois..Started when I was 10 on my Cushman..Didn't have a Drivers License either! Just sayin'

Old 04-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bloozmann
I rode without a helmet for 40 years in Illinois..Started when I was 10 on my Cushman..Didn't have a Drivers License either!
Oh, I'm well aware that there are people who do it, and there are plenty that never end up dropping the bike without a helmet on. Like I said, not trying to revive the debate so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Sagido
Tourer

Glad you are basically OK. But you are the most important part, not the bike.

Yesterday my wife and I had a cage make an illegal U-Turn in front of us. I ended up with a laceration on my upper lip, she is OK. But the bike not so good. But it is a machine, and will be repaired. Sucks to not have it for a month or so.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Skalded Dog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for the people who caused it, I don't even think they realize what they did. People are arrogant. Il be good in a couple weeks. I need to get the bike over to the mechanics so I can find out for sure what all is wrong but I think it will just be what I stated above. Glad you other guys and gals that have gone down are ok too. Thunder is coming up next month so I need to get the bike back up and running soon!

Old 04-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sagido
Glad you are basically OK. But you are the most important part, not the bike.

Yesterday my wife and I had a cage make an illegal U-Turn in front of us. I ended up with a laceration on my upper lip, she is OK. But the bike not so good. But it is a machine, and will be repaired. Sucks to not have it for a month or so.
Better to be without it now while the weather is still shitty than the middle of July when you'll really want to get out.

Quick Reply: Went Down for the First Time