Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More practical: fatboy or fatboy lo (special in the uk)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 PM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default More practical: fatboy or fatboy lo (special in the uk)?

I'm going to get a fatboy. I prefer the overall impact of the regular Fatboy in chrome, esp. wheels etc. But I quite like the blacked front on the lo, and think it would better with black z-bars than the chrome which looks better with eg carlini flying apes

I'm most concerned though about cleaning. which looks worse; dirty fb or dirty lo? And does it really take much longer to get the chrome looking good again compared to the lo? Would rather ride than clean, and don't fancy the rat look

Old 04-29-2013, 04:08 PM
elizer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you are in UK and you have those import taxes I would get the one you would need to do the least mods to get it how you want. Unless you can source all the parts you need in the UK. On my denim bike I would spray windex on everything and wipe it down... maybe some bug off on the forks and front end.

My vivd black i just use quick detailer and bug off. I don't really care to clean much i have to spend too much time cleaning my car and like u would rather ride.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:30 PM
peg20
Road Master

Originally Posted by elizer
Since you are in UK and you have those import taxes I would get the one you would need to do the least mods to get it how you want. Unless you can source all the parts you need in the UK. On my denim bike I would spray windex on everything and wipe it down... maybe some bug off on the forks and front end.

My vivd black i just use quick detailer and bug off. I don't really care to clean much i have to spend too much time cleaning my car and like u would rather ride.
Thanks. Should have said; I'll be going with vivid black tins either way; don't want TOO much matt black

Old 04-30-2013, 02:12 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go with the deluxe instead and become a chrome *****. It don't take that long to clean.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 AM
Earl IV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peg20
Thanks. Should have said; I'll be going with vivid black tins either way; don't want TOO much matt black
Black denim (matt) looks better the dirtier it gets

... and it's easier to clean if you'd rather keep it that way (windex/towel)

Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 AM
plasmadaddy
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Fatty Special for me - I love the flat (in my case grey) and its literally a simple case of wiping with a damp cloth.
With our crappy London weather, the quicker the cleaning the longer the riding!!!!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have been to London on several ocassions. I would say that the decrease in ground clearance in the Lo would be a bad thing on those roads.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 AM
peg20
Road Master

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I have been to London on several ocassions. I would say that the decrease in ground clearance in the Lo would be a bad thing on those roads.
We don't actually have the "lo" in the UK. We have the Fatboy Special, which is the same as the regular Fatboy but with the blacked-out look. I believe it differs only cosmetically.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
shari
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am riding a lo in the UK. I have no problem with the ground clearance, even over sleeping policeman. Having the blacked out paintwork is a bonus and definitely cuts down on the cleaning. Having said all of this, I have just traded it in for a Heritage as I prefer the handling and I just cant keep away from the shiny chrome!

Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 AM
plasmadaddy
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Not sure the roads in London are different to roads anywhere else in the world.
I don't have any clearance issues, I just ride according to the limits of the bike.
I'm about to lower the bike as well!

Quick Reply: More practical: fatboy or fatboy lo (special in the uk)?