Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vicla builds

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Vicla builds

I'm really starting to think this "VICLA" style build of bikes is a phenomena taking place only here on this website. I joined this site because of the bike I wanted and what I wanted to do to it after I bought it. I had somewhat of an idea of what I wanted before I really knew about this "VICLA" thing, what it meant and what it was. After I joined I started seeing all these threads and posts about them too and that kind of bummed me out. Based on what I heard here and read here I decided to hold off because I just assumed they were going to be everywhere and I wasn't in to "copying" or "doing the same ol thing". Well, I told you guys before I went to all the area watering holes, rides, runs and Pig roasts last year and I never seen 1 single "VICLA" bike all last summer. Yesterday, Sunday I went to Throttle Fest up near Chicago and there had to be 250, 300 bikes there. All the bikes were parked in one area. I was bored so I decided to walk up and down each row of bikes to look, admire and just hang out and shoot the crap with some other guys who were doing the same. I didn't realize it until the last row of bikes but there was not 1 single "VICLA" style bike there! Other than in California, are you guys seeing tons of these "VICLAS" everywhere? Anywhere? Do you see any at all? I know some people don't like them or that they think it's just a "fad" but thats not what I'm asking and wondering about. Shoot, I'm more anxious now to get mine done then I was before I ever bought the bike. Just curious in Illinois.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That means your bike will be getting more looks than usual because no one else has that look.

I have seen 1 in Western Missouri so far this summer. Black Deluxe with Cholos, Apes and 21" front end. Looked good to me.

You have been talking about doing this to your bike for months. You have the parts. What is holding you back from getting it done? I am ready for pics.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:57 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I would think its mainly a west coast thing. I just saw a magazine called "Revolution" (I think), that was pretty much all vicla/Chicano styled bikes. Pretty cool

Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Knucky
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Deleted.

Last edited by Knucky; 06-25-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Thread went full douche.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey kneesinthebreeze, you are more than correct. It should have been done Jan, Feb at the latest but it all started going wrong with that triple bypass surgery. Then it was just one thing after another. Lately it's been the simple fact that I didn't want it down, I wanted to ride it! Once the doctor gave me the ok to ride I went back and pulled it out of the shop so I could ride. I was Ok to ride but still off of work and there was no sense in the both of us just sitting around. I am supposed to drop it back off tomorrow after work but I don't go back on shift until next week which means I will have this coming weekend off again too. I'm not sure I want to risk it not being done in time. I still have to order the hydraulic hose for the clutch, throttle cable, front brake and wiring once I get the bars mounted and that is where it might bite me in the azz, waiting for those to come in. Once I am back on shift, chit, it can sit for the next few weeks and I won't miss it because I will be way low on the O.T. list and living out there at work again. I'll also tell you what I told a few other guys here. I hope I am not screwing up. With these bars this bike is really comfortable. It also runs very well the way it is set up and through this Python 2 into 1 pipe. I really hope I don't get all this done and not like it. The pipes? I think I'm OK there. The bars? I don't know. I have zero ape experience and I knew of no one who had them to be able to test them out myself. I guess time will tell. EDIT, that is a pretty bike knucky.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 06-24-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't seen any down here in N. Florida either...not sure if I wanna go all the way "vicla." I've got the apes and 33" sampsons, so if I added a 21" front wheel and whitewalls, I'd be well on my way...something to consider. Just not sure if I'd be cleaning tires and chrome all day instead of riding.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:02 PM
HDnoob
Tourer

I went to Laconia for bike week 2 weeks ago. I was bummed I didn't see one Vicla style bike. There was tons and tons of bikes, but not one Vicla style. I looked at a ton of bikes too. It made me want to buy a deluxe and make a Vicla style bike because I'd be the only one with it. It made me want one more than ever.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Arrogant Bastard
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in west Texas and I've seen quite a few "vicla" style bikes rollin around. But not enough to where my bike just looks like a copy of another. I'm headed in the direction of the vicla but i just consider the style more "gangsta" than anything else. I lived in San Diego a few years ago and I saw a ton of bikes with this style. But it doesn't take away from any of the bikes individually. I would still be doing this to my bike even if I still lived in SoCal. I don't think it is a fad that will someday get old. It will be even better for you guys that live out east because your bikes are gonna stand out like crazy!

And Tony, I wouldn't worry about not being satisfied with your bike when it's done. I just recently switched to 17" apes and find them to be extremely comfortable. Not to mention that they look friggin bad azz! Just wait till it's all done and you hear those cholos fire up for the first time.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Hey kneesinthebreeze, you are more than correct. It should have been done Jan, Feb at the latest but it all started going wrong with that triple bypass surgery. Then it was just one thing after another. Lately it's been the simple fact that I didn't want it down, I wanted to ride it! Once the doctor gave me the ok to ride I went back and pulled it out of the shop so I could ride. I was Ok to ride but still off of work and there was no sense in the both of us just sitting around. I am supposed to drop it back off tomorrow after work but I don't go back on shift until next week which means I will have this coming weekend off again too. I'm not sure I want to risk it not being done in time. I still have to order the hydraulic hose for the clutch, throttle cable, front brake and wiring once I get the bars mounted and that is where it might bite me in the azz, waiting for those to come in. Once I am back on shift, chit, it can sit for the next few weeks and I won't miss it because I will be way low on the O.T. list and living out there at work again. I'll also tell you what I told a few other guys here. I hope I am not screwing up. With these bars this bike is really comfortable. It also runs very well the way it is set up and through this Python 2 into 1 pipe. I really hope I don't get all this done and not like it. The pipes? I think I'm OK there. The bars? I don't know. I have zero ape experience and I knew of no one who had them to be able to test them out myself. I guess time will tell. EDIT, that is a pretty bike knucky.
I don't think you will regret the apes. Once in a while someone will hate them but most often they just went too high. Here is a post I made in another thread about my bars.
When I purchased my bike it had a set of drag bars. I liked the look but my shoulders and back didn't like them. I even put on another set of drag bars that had more rise and pullback trying to keep the drag bar look. These bars were better and probably would've stayed on the bike if not for an accident (was hit from behind). I wanted maximum comfort due to shoulder and back issues and figured now was the time. After much research and opinions I decided to go with a set of Carlini Flyin Apes. I'm 5'6" and I didn't want the bars to be above my shoulders because this seems to be the sweet spot. Too high and there can be issues with numbness in the hands and or arms. Too low pulls you forward and can cause shoulder and or back issues. I went with the 12" Carlini's (they actually measure around 13-13.5"). This is perfect for me and puts my hands even with my shoulders. To say these bars were a change for the better would be an understatement. I am much more comfortable and my ride time before any issues has doubled or even tripled. I always liked the look of drag bars (and still do) but I also really like the look and especially the feel of my apes!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Don't think I've seen one in my area of south Denver. I see apes every now and then, but not the whole package. Baggers with big wheels are still big here, though.

Quick Reply: Vicla builds