Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Horns and Relays

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Air Horns and Relays

I am looking at some different air horns (I already have a wolo bad boy). I'm not unhappy with the bad boy but wouldn't mind something more powerful. I am also looking to either seperate it (the horn from the compressor) or find another type of air horn that may fit on my bike better.

I did not install a relay when I put on the wolo bad boy...I mounted it on my swingarm. I have a swingarm bag now so I had to move the wolo... but I'm wondering if I should have used a relay? I read that it was "plug n play" and saw where some said they ran it straight to the stock horn wires but others have used the relay.

My question is, what does the relay do and is it necessary even if it works without one? I am an idiot (in general) when it comes to electrical so I have no idea what the relay does.

Last edited by ghoticov; 07-15-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior

the relay allows the trigger wire (from horn switch) to be less capable (smaller) that required to run the pump.

In a typical horn circuit the switch is rated for under 1amp. Most air horn pumps require closer to 5amps to produce enough air to be loud. The relay allows you to use a higher rated feed wire and still utilize your lower rated switch to trigger it.

Yes the relay is needed.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by fcsallan
the relay allows the trigger wire (from horn switch) to be less capable (smaller) that required to run the pump.

In a typical horn circuit the switch is rated for under 1amp. Most air horn pumps require closer to 5amps to produce enough air to be loud. The relay allows you to use a higher rated feed wire and still utilize your lower rated switch to trigger it.

Yes the relay is needed.
That makes sense. But, if it is needed, why does the horn still work when just plugging it into the stock wires with no relay?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:44 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

I installed my Wolo without the relay, after reading here that some other people had done it without problems. Don't know yet if it will eventually fry the switch, and also didn't check to see if it might be a little louder with the relay and heavier wiring.

If you come up with something significantly louder, please post. People seem to hear the Wolo fine, but what I'd really like is if they krapped their pants. That would be my revenge for them sleeping while driving, and trying to kill me. LOL

Old 07-16-2013, 04:59 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
I am looking at some different air horns (I already have a wolo bad boy). I'm not unhappy with the bad boy but wouldn't mind something more powerful. I am also looking to either seperate it (the horn from the compressor) or find another type of air horn that may fit on my bike better.

I did not install a relay when I put on the wolo bad boy...I mounted it on my swingarm. I have a swingarm bag now so I had to move the wolo... but I'm wondering if I should have used a relay? I read that it was "plug n play" and saw where some said they ran it straight to the stock horn wires but others have used the relay.

My question is, what does the relay do and is it necessary even if it works without one? I am an idiot (in general) when it comes to electrical so I have no idea what the relay does.
Even though an air horn may be plug 'n play, I would recommend using a relay. The relay plays a protective role to the horn switch and wiring which may not be optimal at handling the current draw of the horn.

The same was true for mine. It was marketed as plug 'n play (which it wasn't) but I used a relay.

I'm not sure you will find an air horn more powerful than the Wolo bad boy. You may want to consider mounting your horn between the front legs of the frame where the upper bolt of the engine guard mounts.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:40 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I'm not sure you will find an air horn more powerful than the Wolo bad boy. You may want to consider mounting your horn between the front legs of the frame where the upper bolt of the engine guard mounts.
That's where I have mine mounted. Just be sure it's tucked in enough that the fender won't hit it when the suspension is compressed all the way.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:52 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Old 07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantaallen
Another option with no relay http://www.thepropad.com/mini-beast-horns/
Yes the Mini-Beast is LOUD. We have it on our '12 Heritage in the stock mounting position. No problems with the horn button or wiring.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:01 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ramboamt
Yes the Mini-Beast is LOUD. We have it on our '12 Heritage in the stock mounting position. No problems with the horn button or wiring.
That's part of my issue.. I can't mount it in the stock horn position because I have the coil relocation. And since I added the hard mount swing arm bag, I had to remove it from the swingarm.

I may try to install the wow on the front down tubes somehow. I'm thinking if I separate the compressor and horn I should be able to get it on there. I even thought about just zip tieing the compressor to one of the down tubes and then mounting the horn under the stock cowbell and mounting it off the top frame mount up near the neck. I think there is enough clearance for it but not positive.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:47 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Has anyone mounted their wolo horn compressor on the side and had any issues? I have a spot behind the rear jug where I can mount the compressor but the directions say to mount it vertical. I'm just not sure why that matters? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Air Horns and Relays